Ducato front grill

Cliffy

On our 2004 Ducato the grey plastic grill, the piece that carries the Fiat sign, between the bonnet and bumper, is loosing it's grey coating due, I think, to stone chips and my over zealous cleaning. I want to repaint it using aerosol spray paint

Has any one on here done this?

Is it easy to remove grill, want preparation prior to painting should i do and what type of paint would be most suitable, cellulose, acrylic, enamel of some other?

Cliffy - 2014-10-11 7:34 PM

On our 2004 Ducato the grey plastic grill, the piece that carries the Fiat sign, between the bonnet and bumper, is loosing it's grey coating due, I think, to stone chips and my over zealous cleaning. I want to repaint it using aerosol spray paint

Has any one on here done this?

Is it easy to remove grill, want preparation prior to painting should i do and what type of paint would be most suitable, cellulose, acrylic, enamel of some other?

Wilko's stock spray paint called 'Plasikote' which I have used on plastic several times, I just cleaned the Item with alchohol, the paint gripped and stayed on fine. Only a limited colour range though, Ray

Fibre pads have now replaced wet and dry, pack of three grades from Halfords.

Start with coarsest to remove scratches and work down to the finest.

Plastic primer is flexible and gives a good finish, but key it again with finest pad before each coat.

If you look up the colour, I think it's on the chassis panel, you can get it made up. Again I have found the Halfords mix much cheaper than Fiat, and a good match. if it is the manufacturer's own colour you will need a bit of research.

Several coats will give a lasting finish, but dry each one carefully and smooth each time.

Hi, I did exactly what you are proposing to do. There is only a couple of screws that hold the grill in place. I masked off all the black, removed the Fiat badge and undercoated and resprayed the rest with Silver metallic paint. Quite simple but a bit fiddly doing the masking. It will make like NEW. !!!

Archived