Disappointed, but ultimately relieved

candapack

Yet another thread you've turned into your evangelical crusade for old knackers.

I think we all get the point now.

Think I’ll go back to bed

Zzzzzzzzzz

We started with BMC J4, Bedford CA and Ford Thames vans, moved on through Bedford CF and early Transit and Sherpa, to later Transits and Talbot Express, then Boxers/Ducatos over various incarnations to the present and there is a common and ongoing theme - every step forward was an improvement in mpg and the driving experience, if not always the ride. The price, apart from all that cash, for all this is increasing complexity and bigger bills when it goes wrong.

Having had cruise control on vans since around 1995, mostly add ons, I have never had one go wrong so it seems to me to be one of the most reliable of all add ons and is always a real joy to use on a long haul.

We too are happy with our current van but we too look at various dealers and shows out of interest to see if anything catches our fancy enough to splash the cash again but so far nothing has.

Add to that my disillusionment about the perceived quality and durabilty of many modern conversions plus my distrust of as yet unproven Euro 5 and 6 engineering in the medium to long term and we too are in no rush to change.

But it does not stop us looking as it's all part of the fun!

There is no right or wrong way and for anyone to state that what is best for them will be best for everyone else is totally wrong and is bias not sound advice.

Personally, I would never tell anyone what they should or should not buy or do, but I will present the pros and cons for any given vehicle as I see it for them to make their own choices - but only if and when they ask.

Guest Had Enough
fjmike - 2014-10-14 11:24 PM

To all those who have decided to stay with the van you have. You are not alone, a good proportion of my customers say they have come to a similar conclusion stating poor layout design, poor build quality and cheap fittings as prime reasons. Several of my customers have purchased new vans and have been so disappointed with them that they have sold the new van and bought an older model, which has a better build quality

So when was this golden age of motorhome construction then? The last decade? The '90s or even the '80s possibly?

Personally I've never come across anyone selling a new motorhome to deliberately opt for an older one and do it because they think that they're better made. Many people choose the wrong type of motorhome and, realising that, go for a different one and having lost money on the first purchase may well have no choice but to go for an older one of the type they now want.

I'm typical in that I went for a British caravan-style layout, but, as I learned more, I realised that we'd much prefer the Continental fixed bed configuration. So I traded it in for the Hobby I owned until recently and fortunately I could still afford to buy a new Hobby.

Perhaps many of your customers who tell you that they're having their 'van valeted and overhauled because the new models are not up to scratch are like one or two on here?

Instead of being honest and saying that a new motorhome would be a bit of a stretch and make a very big hole in their capital, they come out with this nonsense of "Yes old boy, we were thinking of buying this spiffing new Hymer but, do you know, when we had a close look they're not really that well made so we've decided to stick with our 1999 Lunarautotravellersleeper as they really knew how to make motorhomes then."

All I know is that every new motorhome that I live in, every new car that I drive, every new television that I watch, every new laptop, PC or smartphone that I buy and even our latest vacuum cleaner, are streets ahead of the older ones that I've replaced.

If you have the dosh, spend it and enjoy life. If you haven't that's fine and carry on using the equipment that you can afford because what you've never had, you'll never miss. But please, spare us the humbug about how you'd buy a new £60K 'van tomorrow but the only reason that you don't is because they're not as well made as your existing older one.

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2014-10-15 10:54 AM

Had Enough - 2014-10-15 10:48 AM

So when was this golden age of motorhome construction then? The last decade? The '90s or even the '80s possibly?

Enjoy....

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Bargain-Bangers/30581/

;-)

Bugger, I've just made a big mistake buying a nearly new Hymer! I should have gone for a 1989 DormobileElddisTalbot and left my daughter a load more money when I die. Silly me. ;-)

Maybe Frank but there is little doubt in my mind that my current Auto Sleeper is not as well made and much of the material quality is inferior to Auto Sleepers of the 80s and 90s.

There is also little doubt in my mind that current Autocruise models are not a patch on the Autpcruises of the pre Swift era for build quality and durability.

I hope I am wrong for all those who have one's sakes but I won't be buying one anytime soon!

Granted the driving experience is worlds apart but so is the complexity and fragility of many parts, both conversion and base vehicle, that are now made without any margin of over engineering.

That's not to say that if we found a new van we really really liked we would not go for it - as you say - we're a long time dead and our kids will manage very well minus a few thousand.

Just not convinced - but I really hope your new van comes up to expectations for you, and if it does not that you do not get any snide 'told you so' comments on this forum - you certainly won't from me!

Morning folks,

We sold our Adria twin earlier this year and replaced it with a globecar family scout l to give us much more lounging space, as much as i looked I could not see anyway to increase the lounge area in the adria The globecar has also had work done to improve the comfort of the fixed seatan all retrimmed in leather which is not now a travel seat and so the van is now a two berth all this has cost a fair bit of money but we,re worth it. Since taking delivery in jan we have done 11500 miles.

norm

Archived