Tyre Monitoring Systems

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

Has anyone any experience of Tyrepal or similar tyre-pressure monitoring systems? I'm considering getting one for my latest 'van, which is a twin wheeler.

I know now, that the difficulty of inflating the inner wheel can be eased by using a valve extender. Can these be left on permanently? Presumably the two wheels, being on one axle, run in sync, so an extender poking through the outer wheel isn't going to be ripped off?

Assuming that the extender can be left on permanently, will it be possible to put the special transmitter valves on the end of the extension? In theory I can't see why not but who knows?

Hi - I can only respond with reference to your Tyrepal query.

I bought a set in the summer and have been hugely impressed so far. The system has given me peace of mind, knowing the pressures and temperatures are being monitored all the time. A great piece of kit, and because I've only got 4 wheels it cost a modest £109, or thereabouts, delivered. :-D

Oh and easy to set up and install too.

Mike

Twin wheels are bolted together and act as one unit.

Valve extenders stay in place,

Don't think that having twin wheels means you can ignore a puncture. If one tyre deflates its running mate goes into overload and may eventually overheat and blow out. Its OK to drive to somewhere safe to change the flat but keep speed low.

Sorry no experince of tyre pressure monitors, I just polish my St Christopher badge and crss fingers.

It seems to work I have only had one puncture in 100,000+ miles of motorcaravanning.

Guest Had Enough
mikebeaches - 2014-10-12 3:18 PM

Hi - I can only respond with reference to your Tyrepal query.

I bought a set in the summer and have been hugely impressed so far. The system has given me peace of mind, knowing the pressures and temperatures are being monitored all the time. A great piece of kit, and because I've only got 4 wheels it cost a modest £109, or thereabouts, delivered. :-D

Oh and easy to set up and install too.

Mike

Thanks for that. It's a tricky decision as the ideal 6-sensor kit that I'd need is, according to an email I received from Tyrepal this morning, £245. I did a bit more research last night and I've read reports of problems developing after a year or so, possibly as the sensors have been exposed to the elements for some time.

Now I know how easy it is to check pressures and inflate the inner wheels using a valve extension, I may not bother. I've had one puncture in thirty years and even if I ruin a tyre by not realising that one has blown, it will still be less than £245.

Guest Had Enough
George Collings - 2014-10-12 5:19 PM

Twin wheels are bolted together and act as one unit.

Valve extenders stay in place,

Don't think that having twin wheels means you can ignore a puncture. If one tyre deflates its running mate goes into overload and may eventually overheat and blow out. Its OK to drive to somewhere safe to change the flat but keep speed low.

Sorry no experince of tyre pressure monitors, I just polish my St Christopher badge and crss fingers.

It seems to work I have only had one puncture in 100,000+ miles of motorcaravanning.

Thanks, that's what common sense told me but it's nice to have it confirmed.

I fitted Tyrepal on my motorhome because it came without a spare wheel and a means of monitoring the tyre pressures seemed sensible. The system was easy to install and worked well although I found the battery in the wheel sensors did not last more than about 6 months. Occasionally I got a false low pressure reading which corrected when I rebooted the in-cab monitor. I was also concerned about possible corrosion between the dissimilar metals in the grub screw and sensor body used to prevent the sensors slackening. I don't use it now having fitted a spare wheel and added Phantom's Puncture Prevention pre-puncture sealant to the wheels.

Richard.

Archived