water heater

mids

Hi we are newbies and still learing so can someone tell me, we have a whale water heater do we leave it turned on all the time ? How do we no there is enough water in there to heat? Frightened it may burn out. Also our motorhome has two waste pipes if I connect a piece of hose to waste would there be enough gravity to use a drain on a serviced pitch to keep tank empty all the time.takes an age to empty at service point when full

Open the hot taps and water will start to run,if the flow spits and splutters that means there is air in the system and lack off water so let it run till it stops spluttering,be sure you have water in your supply tank and you should be OK, you may only want to ignite the boiler when you want hot water though so keep it turned off in that case,I dont let my waste tank fill I prefer to leave the valve open and catch the waste water in a bucket or other container and empty it as I go,this also helps prevent smells building up in the tank too,gravity will empty your tank at all times, if it is slow as you say the system may be gunged up so I would fill the tank with hot water and plenty of wash up liquid or tank cleaner if you are rich and drive around for a while to give the tank a good swishing and then empty it and see how it runs,sometimes the turn off valve of the tank,exterior can get clogged with road dirt or mud check it out.

Once the water heater tank is full , it should remain full unless you drain it down, as you draw off hot water it will be replenished from the cold fresh water tank. Motorhome water tanks have none or very little insulation so not very efficient to leave the heater on all the time and being such a small unit they do not take long to heat up.

As well as 2 waste pipes do you have 2 waste tanks? Probably worth checking the outlet valves for a build up of gunge, or if small valves replacing with larger ones. Using pipes to a drain should work OK.

mids - 2014-10-13 5:56 PM

Thank you I did see someone with a bucket last weekend. Regarding hot water does water from supply tank automatically fill hot water tankwhen hot water being used?

Yes, that's right.

It would help if you said what, make and model your van is.

Position is important too,if your van is not level the waste tank might struggle to empty as water does not like running uphill,you could possiblly have a kink somewhere in the drain pipes,not unheard of even in new vans,and you could have debris in the tank or pipework as installers are not too bothered when they fit things,yes as you take hot water from your taps your water pump will activate and replenish the, amount of water you draw off back into your water heater.

mids - 2014-10-13 5:56 PM

Thank you I did see someone with a bucket last weekend. Regarding hot water does water from supply tank automatically fill hot water tankwhen hot water being used?

Yes, provided the pump is switched on and the water tank has water in it.

We leave our water heater switched on all the time we are on site. Ray

Archived