Why do they do it?

hallii

Had Enough - 2014-10-15 4:23 PM

I never have this problem because I use external silver screens. It takes seconds to take them off as opposed to minutes trying to clear dripping condensation from windows.

We do use an external screen when on sites but when on an aire or wild I like to be able to flip the internal screen back and move off fast if I have a safety concern without having to go outside. Must say that if the need ever arose the engine would go from starter to 3000 rpm in 0.1 seconds at 90+ db :-S

Consensus seems to be that it to warm up the engine for whatever reason.

I thought it might be a throwback to the old days when the thick mineral oil needed to flow all round the engine before moving off.

Hey ho, I have learned to ignore it and sleep on regardless. Like barking dogs, church bells, motorbikes, cockerels, dustbin men ( at 3.00 am!), slamming PVC side doors and worst of all the all night party (unless I am invited).

Grumpy? Moi?

H

Talking about 'Slamming PVC doors' , I was looking around some VW campervans the other day, as I tried to slide the door open, it slid back and opened itself electricly ....i was gobsmacked what a great idea, it closed the same way with a barely perceptable 'Click' as it closed. Now, why don't they ALL do that ?? it would save a lot of 'aggro' let alone physical effort. Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-10-19 8:25 PM

Talking about 'Slamming PVC doors' , I was looking around some VW campervans the other day, as I tried to slide the door open, it slid back and opened itself electricly ....i was gobsmacked what a great idea, it closed the same way with a barely perceptable 'Click' as it closed. Now, why don't they ALL do that ?? it would save a lot of 'aggro' let alone physical effort. Ray

I did see something the other day where this is an option - not sure on what manufacturers models, but the add cost was something well over £1k! The idea is good though, as the noise of closing the sliding door is quite high when done at very 'quiet' times...ie middle of the night!

A couple of irrelevant points, my jag has an auxiliary diesel engine heater for cold mornings, below 6C it comes on and white smoke rises unnervingly from the offside front wheel arch. Many new owners ( who do not of course read the handbook) panic and call the breakdown services.

This weekend I was at Donington Park for a race meeting. Staying in the paddock overnight was a challenge because as soon as it went dark multiple generators fired up, not little suitcase job is, but full blown caged monsters.

Big rvs with slide outs galore, converted lorries with garages on the back, even caravans. What a noise!

All went quiet at about 10.30, only for 30 unsilenced race engines to explode into action at about 7am as the first practice was 8.30.

You don't know how lucky you are with a little engine noise!

Archived