What van is this?

Steve928

Guest pelmetman

Its a cut & shut case ;-) ....................must be the mating season for caravans :D .........

https://www.google.es/search?q=lexion+caravans&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4PI8VKbjGMP0aqLXgJgC&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1242&bih=585#tbm=isch&q=lexon+caravans&imgdii=_

That said, looks like they've done a decent job ;-) ...............

If it is a home made job be very wary of a caravan body on a van chassis as the stresses and strains of the two bodies and chassis may not be compatible with the structural integrity needed for the body to remain rigid and for keeping the water out - especially at that price.

An early X250 might also have reverse gear issue - although maybe a 3.0 litre is OK

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2014-10-14 11:10 AM

When was the last time you saw a stable door on a Motorhome?

Stable doors are very useful ;-)................

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2014-10-14 11:17 AM

If it is a home made job be very wary of a caravan body on a van chassis as the stresses and strains of the two bodies and chassis may not be compatible with the structural integrity needed for the body to remain rigid and for keeping the water out -

Exactly.

There is very little torsional rigidity in the chassis - it depends on the body strength to prevent twisting as you go over uneven roads. A caravan body is not built to the same strength as having only 2 wheels it doesn't have to cope with this twisting force.

Reverse gear judder would be the least of my worries.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2014-10-14 3:11 PM

Just ran an MOT inquiry on it, originally registered in 2007 no emissions given so looks like it was originally a Motorhome.

Maybe its a Lunar prototype ;-) ...............

As others have said, looks like a Lunar Lexon caravan body 'tacked' onto a previously written off Motorhome chassis. The interior looks nice, And provided the job has been done 'properly' ??

I don't see a problem, But the price is a bit high. Ray

Just had a proper look at the overhang !! first thing I would do would be to look underneath to see what is supporting it ? Mind you an early 'Itineo' (pilote) a' Class , looked like a shed underneath at the back, with no support..

I think you will find it is a Lunar Lexon.

Many Lunars do have stable doors.

The front pod is similar to others in the range.

The overhang and side profile are the same as others in the range.

Don't know about the paint job apart from it being a special order or simply an option?

Lunar have never made a Lexon Motorhome only a Caravan with that name.

Motorhome manufacturers have not generally used stable doors for over 20 years.

It is obvious from the interior that it is a caravan body.

No Motorhome manufacturer would ever fit the roof to the front pod in that way unless they were making a roof top swimming pool.

EJB - 2014-10-15 4:14 PM

I think you will find it is a Lunar Lexon.

Many Lunars do have stable doors.

The front pod is similar to others in the range.

The overhang and side profile are the same as others in the range.

Don't know about the paint job apart from it being a special order or simply an option?

You seem to be just the kind of buyer the advertiser is hoping to attract - perhaps he'll get shot of it after all 8-)

There have been occasional articles in magazines describing how the body of a coachbuilt motorhome (eg. the monocoque GRP body of a Auto-Sleepers model) had been transferred from a badly-rusted or seriously-damaged chassis to a better-condition one. As far as I’m aware a VOSA or DVLA check would not be required, unless the recipient chassis was not registered as belonging to a ‘motor caravan’ and it was wished to re-register it as such.

It would be interesting to know what insurance providers’ attitude is to this sort of ‘marriage’.

Archived