Baltic wharf reprieve?

Billggski

We stayed there earlier this year (yes,we managed to get on despite it nearly always being 'booked solid' ). Went to the 'Wallace & Gromit' exhibition at the 'Shed' nr. Ardman studios. and had a roam over the 'Great Britain' in it's 'wet look' Dry dock. had a great time.

This site is the most unsuitable place for a primary school I have ever seen, a deep water dock on one side, and a very busy road on the other. My DEEP suspicion is that the Council want to sell it for big bucks for developers, to continue the 'march' of Luxury blocks of flats along the Wharf.

Watch this space !

However I am very glad to hear of this 'stay' of execution, every local that i spoke to, wanted the CC site to stay open, as it bought much needed trade throughout the year. (it's open all year).

Very much doubt that a similar site would be able to be found in the heart of Bristol. And that is why it is so popular, it is in the Heart of the city. (not much good for Doggies though !) Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-10-15 10:10 AM

... This site is the most unsuitable place for a primary school I have ever seen, a deep water dock on one side, and a very busy road on the other.

My DEEP suspicion is that the Council want to sell it for big bucks for developers, to continue the 'march' of Luxury blocks of flats along the Wharf.

Watch this space !

Ray

I agree with you there Ray...but of cause they'll only "realise" just how unsuitable it is, after a lengthy and expensive "feasibly study" and consultation period, at which point some thoughtful property developer will appear from nowhere and offer take it off their hands... ;-)

Guest Had Enough
crbtaylor - 2014-10-15 4:05 PM

Just spoke to CC and they told me it's still closing, typical??.

It is still closing. It's just had a reprieve for twelve months. It's all in the link above.

Rayjsj - 2014-10-15 10:10 AM

This site is the most unsuitable place for a primary school I have ever seen, a deep water dock on one side, and a very busy road on the other. My DEEP suspicion is that the Council want to sell it for big bucks for developers, to continue the 'march' of Luxury blocks of flats along the Wharf.

Watch this space !

However I am very glad to hear of this 'stay' of execution, every local that i spoke to, wanted the CC site to stay open, as it bought much needed trade throughout the year. (it's open all year).

Very much doubt that a similar site would be able to be found in the heart of Bristol. And that is why it is so popular, it is in the Heart of the city. (not much good for Doggies though !) Ray

Agree absolutely, and whilst we believe additional schools are required within the city, how on earth can this be a suitable place. If they really want to build one in that area, there would appear to be plenty of 'brownfield' sites not too far away! without doubt a scam by the city council for future sale for high cost flats!

Guest Had Enough

I find some of these conspiracy theories a bit odd. The council leases the land to the CC for a site. If it wants to build a new housing development why would it need to go to the subterfuge of pretending that it's going to build a new school? If it then reneges on the school they'll get a lot more flak than if they simply told the citizens of Bristol that they going to build more housing.

Bristol has built lots of house and flats in that area and they've given permission to build houses and flats, simple as that.

Why on earth would this be any different? If they want to build houses they can simply turf out the CC, which they're going to do anyway, and build their houses.

What's they point of lying? Do we really believe that there aren't a few council employees and planning officers who wouldn't shop the council as soon as they could if the council is deliberately deceiving the public?

And do we also believe that there are no schools in Britain that are near rivers and canals and even the sea? Of course there are.

Agree with Frank re conspiracy theories, but think have the solution. Yes build the school but keep a small section of the land back on which to establish an aire. This would require only parking spaces for say 20 vans with electric hookups, waste dump etc but no need for showers toilets and so on. Entry by credit card barrier and you just turn up as on all Aires so no advance booking nonsense. Charge say £15/night and should get enough occupancy to be economically viable.(campingcar parks in France, a private company,are establishing many Aires across France and beyond on a similar model and seem to be making it pay).

robertandjean - 2014-10-18 12:25 PMAgree with Frank re conspiracy theories, but think have the solution. Yes build the school but keep a small section of the land back on which to establish an aire. This would require only parking spaces for say 20 vans with electric hookups, waste dump etc but no need for showers toilets and so on. Entry by credit card barrier and you just turn up as on all Aires so no advance booking nonsense. Charge say £15/night and should get enough occupancy to be economically viable.(campingcar parks in France, a private company,are establishing many Aires across France and beyond on a similar model and seem to be making it pay).

Don't be rediculous; that idea just makes far too much sense for any councillor to take up!

robertandjean - 2014-10-18 12:25 PM

Agree with Frank re conspiracy theories, but think have the solution. Yes build the school but keep a small section of the land back on which to establish an aire. This would require only parking spaces for say 20 vans with electric hookups, waste dump etc but no need for showers toilets and so on. Entry by credit card barrier and you just turn up as on all Aires so no advance booking nonsense. Charge say £15/night and should get enough occupancy to be economically viable.(campingcar parks in France, a private company,are establishing many Aires across France and beyond on a similar model and seem to be making it pay).

The site has only 48 pitches.The whole area is only 'a small section of land'. I doubt there would be room for a school and an Aire for 20 vans. Not sure that the Councillors read this Forum, so the proposed 'solution' is unlikely to get a Council "airing".

Billggski - 2014-10-19 9:00 PM

Can you see the headline?

"Council sets up travellers' site next to school!"

In the Daily Mail? Other papers may run with:

The Sun: Gypsies to Prey on Our Kids?

The Mirror: Bravo Bristol!

The Express: After Maddie, more Kids in Danger? [Or: Revealed! Diana Image found on Awning.. was she a Closet Camper?]

The Torygraph: Is This Dale Farm 2?

The Indie: Hung Council Compromises

The Guardian: Between a Dock and a Doss Place

The Times: Cameron Denounces Travellers' Site

Financial Times: Council to Maximise Land Use

Morning Star: Kids Robbed of Playground by New Breed Middle Class Itinerants

robertandjean - 2014-10-18 12:25 PM

Have to take issue with you on one point here. Camping car parks, if I am thinking of the same outfit establish nothing, they just take over existing aires and increase the price. I mentioned them last year after a trip when I came across two of their aires. the first in Millau, took me about half an hour just to work out getting in and I was not the only one, several vans just turned away. The second at Fontaine de Vacluse whose aire was always full, since camping cars took it over it is now half the size and empty when we looked. I did not stay here after the problems with the first one and to add insult to injury they deducted the fee from my card twice and have consistently made excuses not to refund.

Don't like to disagree with you Henri but what you say is not right. Campingcar parks yes have taken some Aires over but have opened many more from scratch, just look at their web site. Regarding entry onto one of their Aires then don't know why you, or others found it difficult. We are on the aire at Castelnaudry now and to get in took no more than 30 seconds. All I had to do was swipe my camping car park card on entry point and in we went. You order the card on line for 5€(no renewal fees) and then put credit on again on line. You add more credit on line or if you prefer on the aire itself. Think for around 9€/night with electricity, all services and hard standing pitch, and in the case this aire near canal du midi and town centre, is great value.

Archived