Pop up adverts - again

Tracker

I suspect that it might not only be me but at random times these wretched adverts either for an enews letter or for some camping thing pop up.

Can't be sure what they are exactly as I make a point of not looking whilst I close them down but I resent the intrusion and I would make a point of NEVER dealing with any company that uses such underhand tactics.

Anybody else getting irritated by them?

And yes, I do have all the pop up blockers etc on!

Which irritating "pop-ups" are these Rich'?..are they ones where some bloke keeps constantly trying to "sell us" on the idea 20+ year old Transit vans...?...

...because if they are, I get the impression by some of the "consumer feedback" he's been getting, that you're not alone... (lol)

pepe63 - 2014-10-14 8:41 PM

Which irritating "pop-ups" are these Rich'?..are they ones where some bloke keeps constantly trying to "sell us" on the idea 20+ year old Transit vans...?...

...because if they are, I get the impression by some of the "consumer feedback" he's been getting, that you're not alone... (lol)

Not at all - Dave is harmless enough now that he has cooled down a bit and every forum needs it's eccentrics - apparently!

After years of painstaking analytical research I have at last discovered a way to not be annoyed by subjects and people that do not interest me - I don't look at them!

Simples!

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-10-14 8:41 PM

Which irritating "pop-ups" are these Rich'?..are they ones where some bloke keeps constantly trying to "sell us" the idea 20+ year old Transit vans...?...

because if they are, I get the impression by some of the "consumer feedback" he's been getting, that you're not alone... (lol)

Well Pepe unlike the pop ups which you have to click on to remove ;-) ..............You have to click on my posts to be annoyed *-) :D ...........I can only assume your one of our forum curtain twitchers (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2014-10-14 8:58 PM

Well Pepe unlike the pop ups which you have to click on to remove ;-) ..............You have to click on my posts to be annoyed *-) :D ...........I can only assume your one of our forum curtain twitchers (lol) .........

Oooooh - naughty David being provocative again innit!

I never thought of that!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-10-14 9:01 PM

pelmetman - 2014-10-14 8:58 PM

Well Pepe unlike the pop ups which you have to click on to remove ;-) ..............You have to click on my posts to be annoyed *-) :D ...........I can only assume your one of our forum curtain twitchers (lol) .........

Oooooh - naughty David being provocative again innit!

I never thought of that!

Maybe I ain't a team player Rich......... I feel no need to join Franks BNP (Brown Nose Posse *-) )..........I'm more than happy to have my own views whether the O&L curtain twitchers like it or not ;-) ............

Clearly I cant be that obnoxious as I've yet to be put on the naughty steps by the Mods :D .............unlike most of my critics >:-) ...........

On the contrary chaps, initially I thought that, that as I've have owned, and may at some stage own again, a Transit, I may find it interesting.

Also all the talk of transplanting a V6 caught my eye, as it's something that I was partially involved with doing some years ago with a mate(albeit his was the older model Transit than Pelmets' and the V6 was only a 2.3, from his old Cortina of the era)..

Unfortunately, it soon became clear that the thread was little more than yet another vehicle for this constant "...Progress eh!" mantra, with it's accompanying myriad of silly smilies....

A pity, as it could have been an interesting thread...

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-10-14 9:23 PM

On the contrary chaps, initially I thought that, that as I've have owned, and may at some stage own again, a Transit, I may find it interesting.

Also all the talk of transplanting a V6 caught my eye, as it's something that I was partially involved with doing some years ago with a mate(albeit his was the older model Transit than Pelmets' and the V6 was only a 2.3, from his old Cortina of the era)..

Unfortunately, it soon became clear that the thread was little more than yet another vehicle for this constant "...Progress eh!" mantra, with it's accompanying myriad of silly smilies....

A pity, as it could have been an interesting thread...

Hang on in there Pepe ;-) ...............as they'll be pictures too :D ..............although it is a long term project as my mechanic chap will have 3 months to play with the works van whilst we're in Spain B-) ...............well that's the plan............but my plans have been thwarted before :-S ............

Tracker - 2014-10-14 8:28 PM

I suspect that it might not only be me but at random times these wretched adverts either for an enews letter or for some camping thing pop up.

Can't be sure what they are exactly as I make a point of not looking whilst I close them down but I resent the intrusion and I would make a point of NEVER dealing with any company that uses such underhand tactics.

Anybody else getting irritated by them?

And yes, I do have all the pop up blockers etc on!

The type of advert you mention has begun to appear fairly recently (ie. during the last few months) when I’ve been using this forum and they are indeed bleeding irritating.

For me, a brightly coloured window pops up in the centre of the screen containing (as you say) some sort of camping-related advert. As you also say, there seems to be obvious way of predicting when this will happen and my pop-up-window blocker has no effect on these adverts either.

I don’t actively read the adverts’ content, but I’m obviously aware that they have a ‘camping’ flavour as I can’t avert my eyes when I'm closing down the advert’s window. It’s now accepted that subliminal advertising does not work and, despite having being subjected to the same advert having now appeared several times, I still don’t know what it’s really about as, when it does pop up, my immediate interest is to get rid of it.

Because these pop-up thingies relate to camping I’ve assumed they have Warners' permission to appear on the OutandAboutLIve website. If not, it would be nice if they could be suppressed.

This is a commercially owned website and the owners will try new types of advertising from time to time - but the advertisers won't pay for them and Warners won't continue using them unless they attract interest and buyers, so the answer for us is to close these popup windows down immediately every time they appear and never take up the offers.

It might also be possible to tell your browser not t allow this website to display popups - but I dont know how!

The default installation of Adblock+ 2.6.4 and its filter lists prevents these (and the magazine adverts in the RH column) from appearing in Firefox.

If not using the default filter lists (Adblock Warning Removal List and EasylList) then just add them as custom filters - I'd better not be too specific here..

I've seen them in Chrome on my tablet though - very annoying.

Archived