1st motorhome

Bifferco

1st motorhome  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Help someone please, I am looking to buy a motorhome for me and my beloved to spend some quality time in the uk and France. I thought we would choose one we liked, buy it and rock and roll, I wish!,, the layout we want is a rear u shaped lounge, bunk above cab, and a separate shower, easy. But when researching this will be over 3500kg, probably at add over 3m high and about 7m long. I just would like someone to say that I won't have any trouble entering villages in france( to heavy?) is the height restriction a problem for tolls , ferries and campsites.

I am sure I am not the 1st person to be in the same position to ask these questions. The bailey 765 with the drop down bed sorts the height issue out but is more than I want to spend on our 1st venture into a motorhome purchase

Looking forward to any comments

Hello and welcome to the forum

It is hard choosing your first mhome and many people say you never get it right first time.

Things you will need to consider, if buying over 3500kg:

Do you and anyone else who may drive it, have the correct provision on your licence, if so you will need a medical at 70 to keep it.

Some towns in France do have a 3500kg limit , but many have aires on the outskirts of town that you can park for free and then walk/cycle in to town. You may struggle to find suitable parking over 7m too.

The toll roads charge more for over 3500kg and also 3m, if you are planning to use some of these roads.

Generally speaking height should not be too much of a problem on Ferries (other that the extra charges) as they allow HGVs on. Campsites should be ok but some French pitches can be on the small side so the length may be an issue.

Many recommend to hire a similar van to your choice to see if it suits you needs first. This can help you to decide what you need.

I am sure there will be more advice soon.

Hope this helps

If you are near Birmingham call over at the motorhome show that's on now.

Crawl over every MH, ask questions, bounce on beds, read specifications, boggle at the prices, ignore tempting accessories you'll never use, don't believe the sales teams, but just consider all options.

There are a number of sections on this site about choosing MHs.

Generally the French ignore the 3.5T limit in towns, I often park next to behemoths in village aires.

3m is only a problem on toll roads, and a few fuel stations, but I'm just over and still get class 2 if I ask, and the height barriers usually have a bit of leeway.

A few keenly priced vehicles meeting your criteria at the show, but, as with everything else, quality costs.

Archived