smart cars, but not to tow.

rudders

My pal does exactly that, having had a drive of it myself it instantly reminded me of a fairground bumping car, and perhaps he's been unlucky, but he always seems to be spending out on it, but non the less he loves it, but it wouldn't be on my shopping list.

Hi We have a Smart and as a run about its great, as a second car. Being only two seats it can be a problem taking the grand children out. We have taken it to Spain over winter but on a trailer, too many comments about transmission problems when towing it direct on the road.

Be aware it has no spare wheel and the front and rear tyres are different sizes, we have had a couple of punctures and had to wait a day for the garage to get the right tyre in. (Thankfully not in Spain!).

MPG not too good 35-40 , I think it depends upon whether you have turbo or not, ours does but its quite rapid!

All in all I like it and the wife loves it

Eyup weve got a black iq weve had it for 4years , it had bad press ,but for us its been an excellent little motor,no tax , tons to the gallon ,hasnt cost lots of money and very roomy 4 seats although behind driver a trifle squashy the boot is big if you drop seats ,weve moved loads of things even a table ,try one just sit in it they very roomy :) pp

We have a Smart Roadster. Thoroughly enjoyable car, but I guess your query is about reliability.

Smarts are no better or worse than any of the other similar super small cars. Just go with whatever you find that suits your budget.

If you do go down the Smart route pay attention to servicing. As mentioned above they are a six plug engine and lazy owners/garages often only change the top three. The bottom three require removal of the rear body panel. It's easy but often not done.

There is no oil drain plug so needs a pump if you do it yourself (£15on eBay). Again, often overlooked.

Archived