Hymer second leisure battery

K9GYN

Schaudt recommends that the battery's should be no larger than 10 times the charger output. The Elektroblock is an 18 amp charger, 10 x 18 = 180A/H.

Hymer now fit 95A/H Banner AGM batteries 2 x 95 = 190 plus the starter battery 95A/H although the full amount does not need to be allowed for as the starter battery charge is limited to 6 amps. I think it would only overload the charger if all 3 batteries were totally flat. In fact the basic set up exceeds recommendations, leisure + starter battery = 190A/H.

Most dealers will fit a second battery without the additional charger, does not appear to cause any problems, if in doubt email Udo Lang at Schaudt.

I have 2 x 95A/H batteries with the standard charger but I never use EHU so does not matter at all in my case, dealer fitter additional battery an did not even mention additional charger I don't think many people bother with them.

From the Hymer pricelist, the second battery invariably doubles the capacity installed. Chargers need to have an adequate output for the capacity of the battery/ies they are charging, from memory an output in Amps that is about 10% of the installed battery capacity in Ah.

Since charger outputs rise in quite coarse incremental steps, there will be combitations of battery capacity that exceed the available charging outputs of some chargers, so Hymer chooses to install a supplementary charger along with the additional battery in some (though I note not all) cases. Why they choose to do this, in lieu of installing an uprated charger during assembly, only Hymer can say, but it is presumably a combination of production economics, available charging solutions, and good battery management.

Archived