Winter storage of motorhome

Silver Roamer

When parked up for long periods I understand the need to move it a little every so often so that you don't get 'square tyres'. What are your thoughts on putting it on axle stands to take the weight off the tyres and also the suspension. Useful comments would be helpful together with any other winter storage advise.

The best option if you are not using the van is to take for a good drive round every few weeks to get everything up to working temperature a trip of around 20 miles should do it.

It's not just tyres & suspension that suffer, clutches, thrust release bearing, brakes and various other bits can seize when left standing.

Our van is laid up from November to March each year. I go to the storage every 4 weeks and just drive it around the compound, except during Christmas week I take it out for a ride round until it is warmed through. I have not had a problem in the last 4 years. The problem I had last year was mice getting in, they ate the tubes that feed the windscreen washers. I asked for a pitch away from the corn field and nearer to the centre of the compound and had no further mice attacks.

If your van is stored in the country put a couple of traps bated with peanut butter in the engine compartment and under the kitchen area.

Archived