Anyone looking to import a new Globecar/Possl van (RHD)

Guest JudgeMental

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2014-11-30 11:05 AM

That you don't trust your own faculties to drive home a few hours on third party plates. then expand the risk out of all proportions is daft to be honest.

Very interesting thread, good points on both sides.

But on this particular point I'm with Brian. If I was driving £40k worth of uninsured van anywhere, it's not my faculties that worry me.

And being able to claim against the insurance company of some other driver gives me little comfort.

PS, still very fond of you both, and Derek. :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Who is advocating driving uninsured! If your not comfortable driving with third party cover for a few hours.......Get it delivered! It really is no more complicated then that!

Guest JudgeMental

OK some significant clarity on the situation. I asked for cost of 2 fictitious deliveries to give a concrete idea as to costs. Also warranty if an issue could not be resolved by post.

"If we deliver a car to London and we are allowed to drive it there, we would need 650€, to Birmingham we would need 750€ (this includes 19% VAT).

We can also offer 5 days Export plates with full (comprehensive) Insurance for 150€ net. The insurance is valid for all the Way Germany/Netherlands/Belgium/France and the UK.

Normally they are not fully covered only 3rd party, but we made a Deal with our insurance company and now we can provide the 5 days plates including Comprehensive insurance. That was also an issue today in the morning with another customer, so I called the insurance company some hours ago and they confirmed that.

Warranty won’t be a big problem. If the customer has to bring it to a Non Pössl-Service garage, the customer would have let the invoice write on our Name. We would compensate this and Pössl would compensate us. We always found a solution, it is the same with many Swedish and Norwegian customers."

hope that satisfies the worry pusses,.but I doubt it!lol they will want to see the blood on the hands first.....Have asked for copy of insurance it may well be only in German.

JudgeMental - 2014-12-01 4:46 PM

OK some significant clarity on the situation. I asked for cost of 2 fictitious deliveries to give a concrete idea as to costs. Also warranty if an issue could not be resolved by post.

"If we deliver a car to London and we are allowed to drive it there, we would need 650€, to Birmingham we would need 750€ (this includes 19% VAT).

We can also offer 5 days Export plates with full (comprehensive) Insurance for 150€ net. The insurance is valid for all the Way Germany/Netherlands/Belgium/France and the UK.

Normally they are not fully covered only 3rd party, but we made a Deal with our insurance company and now we can provide the 5 days plates including Comprehensive insurance. That was also an issue today in the morning with another customer, so I called the insurance company some hours ago and they confirmed that.

Warranty won’t be a big problem. If the customer has to bring it to a Non Pössl-Service garage, the customer would have let the invoice write on our Name. We would compensate this and Pössl would compensate us. We always found a solution, it is the same with many Swedish and Norwegian customers." ..................

Now that's a new one, and very good. What is the registration requirement for an imported RHD van, I wonder? Since it should be quicker than for a LHD van, the 5 days cover may be enough to cover import journey and registration period. Then plain sailing, and vehicle remains street legal throughout.

OTOH, if one could get all the information necessary for registration in advance, and so pre-register the van, it might even be possible to get full comp from UK insurers, get the plates, nip out, fix the plates and drive home fully taxed, insured, and registered. I wonder! No good for LHD though. :'(

Guest JudgeMental

The naughty step for you! personally I'm not that BAD a boy :D and you have to pay the VAT before registration....

Would just get the 30 days full cover on my return. Yes registration straightforward dependent on the vagaries of the DVLA! They do reserve the right to inspect at random but chances of this unlikely as full UK spec which is clear from the documentation.

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-01 6:37 PM

...OTOH, if one could get all the information necessary for registration in advance, and so pre-register the van, it might even be possible to get full comp from UK insurers, get the plates, nip out, fix the plates and drive home fully taxed, insured, and registered. I wonder! No good for LHD though. :'(

It’s interesting that you should mention that possibility.

When I was in the process of importing my Hobby in 2005, Christian Ernst suggested to me that, if I wished it, he could provide me with the documentation necessary to allow me to pre-register the motohome in the UK. I could then obtain comprehensive UK insurance and bring the registration-plates with me when I collected the vehicle from Germany. In those days the DVLA seldom inspected an imported LHD motorhome for UK technical compliancy but, having looked at Ernst’s suggestion more closely, I realised that some economy with the truth would be involved on my part as far as dealing with the DVLA and HMRC were concerned. I had managed to obtain comprehensive insurance to cover the complete trip home (though I was never 100% sure of the policy’s validity!) so I never seriously considered the idea of attempting to advance UK-register a ‘virtual motorhome’.

Earlier this year a near-neighbour was one of a number of people involved in ferry-drivng motorhomes back from Italy to the UK for subsequent use by a UK motorhome hire company. These were large brand-new RHD Ducato-based models (he did not recall the make of motorhome) and, when I asked about what happened when the UK was reached, he told me that the vehicles had already been registered in the UK and carried UK registration plates. (I can’t remember if the plates were taken to Italy by the people who were driving the motorhomes back or were already on the vehicles when they were collected.) He flew over to Italy with his partner, then took a couple of weeks bringing the motorhome back via Germany and France. I gained the impression that the UK hire company had arranged the vehicles’ UK registration while the motorhomes were abroad and the people bringing them back to the UK were essentially ‘hiring’ them at no cost. I did ask about insurance and was told that this had been included, but he had purchased a supplementary damage-waiver for a relatively small sum.

It does need saying that the DVLA treats professional motor traders differently to private importers and I suspect that the compliancy inspection required for UK-registration of an imported LHD motorhome may not be mandatory when a UK dealership registers the vehicle.

Guest JudgeMental

Have copy of insurance its in German and runs to 70 pages. It's a PDF doc will forward to those interested. When I imported van in Feb I think I prepaid the VAT to speed up the reg process...waste of time due to vagaries of DVLA.

Yes it is possible to pre register, seem to remember doing it in the past, but not really nessesary IMO...

I am surprised by both your naughtiness! (lol)

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

This discussion has been inactive for 5 months, so I’m not sure who you are addressing your inquiry to.

The UK company who could supply RHD Globecars at very competitive prices was Clive Singleton Transport Ltd based in Truro Cornwall. The company does not seem to have a website, but the phone number (apparently) is 01872 272092 and further details are here

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/04567415

Clive Singleton’s forum profile includes this email address

mail@clivesingleton.com

This is the original e-bay advert relating to the Globecars - it will undoubtedly be out-of-date now.

http://tinyurl.com/qbd6ozc

Guest JudgeMental

Heath PM me your email address. I have helped others buy these vans, that stock all gone now I believe. but you can order 2015 vans at keen prices

Eddie

• 5 months later...

Hi

I'm not exactly new to motorhoming/campervanning (?) having owned a VW Westfalia for over 30 years (still running..) and a Hymer for 7 years.

The Hymer is now gone, but although the Westfalia is still very much useable, we find the rock-and-roll beds rather uncomfortable for our ages so it's being left to the kids/grandkids. Thus I've been looking at the panel van market.

I was over in Germany visiting relations (German wife) and dropped in at Moser Caravanning at Mainz. They have a huge stock of new/used vans, including the Possl/Globescout range, and I was very impressed. One reason the Hymer had to go was that my wife terrified herself (and me) driving it due to its width (2m35), so I had to do all the hard work, leaving her to do the cooking etc.

We were really impressed with the smaller Globescout van (5m40 long). Has anyone on this forum bought one of that length? Opinions? One of the versions did not have a full size shower - no problem as far as we would be concerned. Our Hymer had a separate shower which was never used.

I'm used to LHD in this country and Europe, so we would probably stick with that.

One of the Globescout models had the automatic gearbox, a major attraction for us.

Thanks for any advice

John H

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, John.

I believe you’ll find that the 5.41m-long Globecar is the “Roadscout R”, with the equivalent-length Possl models being named “Roadcamp”.

Globecar/Possl has a habit of regularly tweaking its model names, but I believe the latest ranges are as described here

http://www.globecar.de/modelle/

http://www.poessl-mobile.de/modelle/

Outside the UK Globecar/Possl models can be obtained based on Fiat or Citroen chassis, with the latter normally having a lower list-price. The motors fitted to the Citroen versions will be 2.2litre or 3.0litre capacity but there will be no automatic gearbox option. LHD Fiat versions can have a 2.0litre motor (5-speed manual gearbox only), or a 2.3litre or 3.0litre motor (6-speed manual gearbox) with the ComfortMatic ‘automatic’ transmission as an option in both cases.

Quite a few Continental manufacturers market conversions built on the Fiat Ducato 5.41m-long panel van, but some care needs to be taken when comparing cost as a very attractive base-price may well reflect the use of the 2.0litre motor, whereas another manufacturer’s more expensive basic price may include the 2.3litre motor.

As far as I’m aware there continues to be no UK Possl agency and I’m not sure how happy a UK Globecar agent would be regarding dealing with under-warranty claims for a LHD Globecar vehicle purchased abroad. In your case this might well not matter, but it’s perhaps still worth saying.

However, Calais Caravanes, Avenue Roger Salengro in Calais (down near the big Auchan), do sell Possl vans, and they speak English. They have sold vans to UK buyers, we got our first there in 2005. We were very satisfied with the purchase of our van, which was delivered clean, fully tested, demonstrated as it should have been, and fault free. If mainly using the Possl for continental trips, assuming Calais would be on the route, possibly a fairly handy option.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived