Another "2nd Battery" question

Sophie2

From my limited techie knowledge I am aware that if you're adding extra batteries than they should be same type, characteristics, AH etc.

BUT- is it absolutely essential that a second battery should be the same "age" as the existing battery, assuming it's same make etc as above.

I have an AGM battery on a vehicle only a couple of months old. It's given no problems but wish to add to it and am loathe to "dump" the current one and replace it with two of the same. Yes- I know I could consider selling it etc but to be honest I wouldn't get its true value and don't really want the hassle. (In any case how certain can you be that the two you replace it with are exactly the same date of manufacture?/)

So that's the question-any issues if I add a battery, identical in all other respects, to one which is "nearly new"?

Thanks

If your battery really is that new - date of manufacture should be stamped on it or the label somewhere - and not in any way compromised through having been overly discharged and left in that condition then another of the same type and output and from the same maker should work perfectly well.

There are often greater differences in quality between batteries from the same factory that there are between different makes as quality control seems to be a phrase totally alien to many alleged 'leisure' battery makers.

As long as both batteries have the same charging regime and their 'at rest' voltages (fully charged and left to stand disconnected for a few days) are broadly the same I see no problems.

How good each will still be in a year's time is another matter, but lacking a crystal ball, who can tell!!

Why not add a solar panel instead, a decent one combined with measures like LED lighting will in my experience eliminate the need for a second battery, we never use EHU, and a single battery combined with a 110 watt panel does the business for us.

A second battery is less expensive and easier to fit than solar panels.

But it does depend on how long they will be off charge, your own specific needs, and the work the batteries have to do between charges.

However solar panel will keep them topped up when the van is not in use and that alone is a good enough reason for many who do not use EHU.

Plus by also adding a split charge relay you can keep the engine battery topped up too - as long as the sun shines and the vehicle is parked where it can get good daylight.

A second battery is nearly always the first choice before fitting solar as this will give much better extended power during winter or gloomy days.

Checked the output of my solar panels yesterday, midday bright sun clear sky only 4.5 amps from 200 watts, slightest cloud drops to 1.5 amps, beginning of last month would have got over double that.

lennyhb - 2014-10-21 1:00 PM

A second battery is nearly always the first choice before fitting solar as this will give much better extended power during winter or gloomy days..

Doesn't that depend on the pattern of use (and storage) of the MH?

Solar panels are good value for anyone who stores his MH without access to an EHU, and for thise who don't always hook up on campsites every night.

And one decent leisure battery is enough for most people's overnight needs when not hooked up isn't it?

Our solar panel (only 130w) tops us up the following day easily enough.

Given that you probably need a solar panel anyway, can't you also from having one by buying a replacement for only one leisure battery instead of both when it comes time to renew?

The weight saving by doing that will be significant.

Thanks folks for prompt replies.

To clarify- I do have a solar panel (80watt) and battery master fitted to the existing battery. The rationale for extra leisure battery is that it would then be identical to the set up on our previous motorhome, which worked well for the use to which we put the vehicle. The original battery then was replaced by two at the same time as they were 5+ years old.

We do use the vehicle during winter months, often "off grid" and although we have access to EHU at home, the need for this is much reduced by the solar/battery combination.

My concern was just in relation to the "extra battery" on our current vehicle and the consensus so far seems to be that it's ok to supplement the existing circa 3 month old battery with a new one of same make, type etc .

I'm happy with that unless someone comes up with a good argument for sayinbg it's a definite "No-No" ;-)

StuartO - 2014-10-21 1:17 PM

Given that you probably need a solar panel anyway, can't you also from having one by buying a replacement for only one leisure battery instead of both when it comes time to renew?

The weight saving by doing that will be significant.

Sorry Stuart, but without knowing the in use battery needs, like length of time off mains or without running the engine, or the type of heating used, or the storage needs like on or off ehu or whether the van is kept at home to enable an easy start up every week or two nobody can know what is the best way forward for the OP?

Nobody 'needs' a solar panel but many of us 'choose' to have one and as far as the weight is concerned - have you ever carried a large solar panel!

Personally I choose to have two 110 ah leisure batteries and a small 50 w solar panel with regulator and split charge circuit to keep all three batteries charged.

That way I have enough battery for several days without running the engine even without solar input and best of all the van would go for months (it never waits that long!) when parked without the need to run the engine to keep the batteries charged.

Sophie2 - 2014-10-21 2:37 PM

Tracker

I think our posts crossed. Hopefully my last post clarifies this. But can I emphasise- my query relates just to the nature of the additional battery-not the overall set up of the power provided.

Thanks again

Thanks Sophie - I think you have it well sussed - good luck and enjoy!!

We've strayed from Sophie's original concern (about matching an additional leisure battery, not whether it was needed or not) and I responded to the assertion that an extra battery was always better than buying a solar panel by suggesting that a solar panel might make a second battery unnecessary.

As has been said, it depends how much battery drain you plan to indulge in before a recharge can take place. If you want to last several days with no real prospect of any charge even from a solar panel, you probably need a second or third battery.

But for those of us who only stay in one place for one or two nights, one battery will probably be plenty, certainly if your batteries will be getting some charge each day or second day.

I currently have two 80 AH batteries but I rarely if ever drop them down to less than 80% charge, and since they are now nearly nine years old and will need replacing soon (and I've now got a solar panel) I'm thinking that I might only really need one replacement leisure battery when the time comes rather than pay for two and carry the second, redundant, one around all the time.

The natural instinct is to want a bit of extra capcity just in case - but why, when it's a big chunk of extra weight?

That's all I'm suggesting. Sorry if i wasn't clear.

I would have thought Stuart that with 130 watts of solar you would probably always have enough capacity for a night or two unless your batteries really are completely knackered - unless you camp a lot in the rain and snowy seasons?

As I discovered a few years back a solar panel is very good at disguising a duff battery unless you disconnect it and let the battery(ies) settle disconnected from everything for a couple of days to find it's/their true no load voltage.

I guess the OP in the light of their update on their reasoning for a second battery should be the end of the matter, like many questions of a similar nature we all jump in with our own experiences, and what we find effective, just goes to show we all have differing needs, and different patterns of usage.

Archived