Site TV in Spain

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

A friend is considering buying a motorhome and before jumping in he's renting a 'van for a month and is going on an organised trip with the Camping and Caravan Club.

He's been told by the site that it has Sky TV, which I'm presuming is fed via a cable to a bollard near each pitch.

Is this the case? He has asked me to find out what the connection is likely to be and how long the cable needs to be.

He's on a site called Marjal Echo Camping on the Costa del Sol, although I presume that most sites in Spain use the same type of system.

Does anyone have experience of the likely system and, if it's as I think, is the site likely to rent the appropriate cable or will he have to buy one before he leaves?

I'm out now until late so please don't think me rude if I don't acknowledge any help given.

Guest pelmetman
We stayed for a week this March and I recall the pitch bollard had a Ariel socket, although not having a lead unable to say what channels were available, pitch sizes are generous so would need a few metres of lead, as in my experience the best way to pitch for the sun is usually the furthest point from the service point ...........so plenty of drainage hose needed also ;-) ...............

We stayed on a Marjal site (2 in fact) They did have UK Tv, which on 1 site , we could not use as we did not have a Tv with Free view.(but Oh managed to watch Cup final through the German chanel) The second site we had changed the TV, and could get the TV. We now take a long about 20 mtr cable with us. Another site in benicarlo which was English run, you could get SKY.

I think it is worth taking a cable with you as, more sites appear to be providing TV. Some do sell cables in the shop on site.

PJay

Guest Had Enough

Thanks for the advice. So the upshot appears to be that a typical TV co-axial cable is what's needed.

I think I'll get him to email the site to see if they rent cables.

I would doubt if they would be bothered with the hassle of renting. Just purchased a 20m length complete with connection for under €6 but changed connectors to uk style to get better connection. If I can recall picked up a few uk stations at pitch

Marjal Eco pitches are covered in a horrible fine gravel that follows you everywhere so a large mat at door required. Site is all singing modern site however a bit remote, typical CCC or CC location, so alternative transport needed if you want to get around area. Enjoy??

Not a direct answer to your question but the following info may be of interest. Our old Avtec tele and our current cheap mains operated Tesco one has a second audio channel that you can switch to, if you can find it in the the menu. This comes in handy on Spanish digital as some english/american programmes then come through in the original English. One channel, Paramount, has back to back films in English.

Guest pelmetman
terryW - 2014-10-22 9:08 PM

Not a direct answer to your question but the following info may be of interest. Our old Avtec tele and our current cheap mains operated Tesco one has a second audio channel that you can switch to, if you can find it in the the menu. This comes in handy on Spanish digital as some english/american programmes then come through in the original English. One channel, Paramount, has back to back films in English.

Good point Terry ;-) ...........As we had English language tv progs where ever we went in Spain with just our status ariel B-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-10-22 9:51 PM

Camping area with 1,432 pitches, sounds like bliss.

It's huge 8-) ...............took half an hour to get to the dog walk :-S .............strangely we have it book marked as default campsite ;-) ..............

I suspect in season it would be our kinda hell on earth :-| ...............

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2014-10-22 10:02 PM

Joe90 - 2014-10-22 9:51 PM

Camping area with 1,432 pitches, sounds like bliss.

Have you been to the site or is this a speculative comment? This is an excellent site and where did the 1,432 pitches come from?

I suspect 1foot was counting the pitches not yet in use ;-) .............as half the site is mothballed :D ............

Sky TV, full English breakfasts no doubt, Bingo, a mere 4000 kilometre round trip drive, and only 1400 pitches when I arrive.............sign me up

Which camp site are we talking about here?

We stayed at Marjal Crevillente, which is Costa Blanca ACSI 2328, (Guess this one).Was very large 1400 plus spaces, large pitches water/drainage /elec/Tv on pitch. It is also Camping cheques.site. Ok if you like staying on site, as without transport, a bit in the sticks In May lots of kids on bikes !! Will not be going back.

We also stayed for 1 night at Margal Guardamar del Segura ACSI 2333 165 pitches. That was much nicer but we where there in September, still fairly busy. Free wi Fi there. Would go back there

I can imagin a Club rally going to Crevllente, probably they will aarrage a days outing to Torrevieja ?

POOR THINGS !!

PJay

The OP put "Marjal Echo Camping on the Costa del Sol," when I think he intended "Marjal Eco on the Costa Blanca"

My postings related to Eco at Crivellente. Both clubs had rallies last November whichwere located in a quiet area with magnificent views of the surroundings. I would imagine in peak season the site would be very busy and ideal for young families so not suitable for myself but so what

Thanks for info on Marjal Guardamar del Segura as may give it s try on way to airport later this month.

Since the switch over to the new satellite, UK TV has been severely affected by the change. We have a house in the eastern Almeria region, and as I type, are having a 2 meter dish fitted to get back the UK terrestrial (BBC all and ITV1) channels, although SKY itself has not been affected.

Friends in the southern Costas are dependent on the internet for TV, and my installer today told me that his mate in Malaga couldn't get a signal on a 7 meter dish!

On our way south, we got UK TV as far as southern France, then only SKY news. I would think that any south Spain site will have to use the internet to relay any signal. Normal dishes are still OK (1.3m) in the south east, north of Cartajena, and in fact have a better reception than before!

Guest Had Enough
sshortcircuit - 2014-10-23 8:17 AM

The OP put "Marjal Echo Camping on the Costa del Sol," when I think he intended "Marjal Eco on the Costa Blanca"

My postings related to Eco at Crivellente. Both clubs had rallies last November whichwere located in a quiet area with magnificent views of the surroundings. I would imagine in peak season the site would be very busy and ideal for young families so not suitable for myself but so what

Thanks for info on Marjal Guardamar del Segura as may give it s try on way to airport later this month.

You may well be right. As I said, this isn't for me but a friend who is considering buying a motorhome. He's being sensible and hiring one for a month and going on an organised rally, where he'll have support if anything goes wrong.

When he phoned me he pronounced it Marjal Echo, not Eco. I must admit that by the time I posted the request I may have got my costas confused.

He just wants to know if it's worth taking a portable TV. There isn't one in the hire 'van but he'll be on ehu and if he can just plug in a co-axial lead he'll be very happy.

Had Enough - 2014-10-23 11:27 AM

sshortcircuit - 2014-10-23 8:17 AM

You may well be right. As I said, this isn't for me but a friend who is considering buying a motorhome. He's being sensible and hiring one for a month and going on an organised rally, where he'll have support if anything goes wrong.

When he phoned me he pronounced it Marjal Echo, not Eco. I must admit that by the time I posted the request I may have got my costas confused.

He just wants to know if it's worth taking a portable TV. There isn't one in the hire 'van but he'll be on ehu and if he can just plug in a co-axial lead he'll be very happy.

As long as the TV has freeview, should be OK, but take a cable. They did have some for sale in the shop, from memory. As I said previously our old TV did not pick up., but as we have a sat dome we could get some TV

PJay

Guest Had Enough
PJay - 2014-10-23 11:54 AM

As long as the TV has freeview, should be OK, but take a cable. They did have some for sale in the shop, from memory. As I said previously our old TV did not pick up., but as we have a sat dome we could get some TV

PJay

Thanks for that. This implies that the site somehow gets UK Freeview by satellite and then broadcasts it by air over the site, where it can be picked up by a normal decent aerial? I too have satellite and I don't use large sites such as this so am ignorant of their practices.

Or, are you saying that the site broadcasts Freeview via a cable system and that he'll need to plug in to receive it and for that the TV must be Freeview compatible?

If it's broadcast by air, the problem I see, is that if the hire 'van doesn't have a TV, it may not have an aerial. He's emailed the site to see if they rent leads and if they don't, but sell them, I'm hoping that they'll mention that in their response. It will save him going out and buying one in the U.K.

Archived