Why does my water taste like TCP

michele

Everytime we use the water in the van it taste's of TCP. Even when the tank is totally empty and being filled if you open the drain plug & taste the water you are filling with it still tastes of TCP. Have tried the obvious chemical remedies with no luck help (^) On behalf of JOHNBOY

Hi, You could try checking the taste of the water coming out of your filling hose pipe in case it is the hose contaminating the water. Only other thing I would think is someone might have put diesel in the water tank by accident - is that a possibility, or maybe diesel does not taste like TCP. Never tasted TCP or indeed diesel. Hope you find the problem. If you need to throurally wash the tank, try biological washing powder and warm water and leave to soak. Rinse thourally afterwards. The other possibilty is if you have a water filled heating sytem then water from the sealed side is getting back into the fresh water - not sure of the feasability of that happening so is just a thought. J.

We have never had any problems with water tainting in our own tank which is always filled with the garden hose. I suspect you have som non food quality hose in your camper instalation or perhaps someone has used a waste tank (where it wouldn,t normally matter) as a fresh water tank). On the other hand it just may be your plastic kettle? After a while they deteriorate and can smell like this.

Clive, thanks for that , My friend will log on himself and tell you more ..... I don't think it is to do with the kettle as it happen's straight from the tap ,even if you just pull a cup of water ...this as I say again is a brand new unit . & they have alway's experienced it ... It tastes discusting. Have tried various things like Sorry can't remember the names but water purifiers and tank cleaners to no avail ..getting worse now . Even if when in storage the tank is completely emptied everytime. *-)

Michele, Further to my last post, its sounds like there has been a problem with the batch of plastic used to manufacture the tank. Time to get in touch with dealer and tank manufacturer I would think. If it is the plasticers from the plastic, then not a lot you can do except change the tank which should be covered under warranty. If you open the access cap on the tank and have a good sniff I imagine you may well find a strong smell which gives a hint of the taste you are getting. Jon (edit - corrected your name spelling)

Hi,

A little bit off thread this question but, when you fill up with fresh water at a tap on the site, what type of fitting (if any) do they use ie push on, screw? Is there a rule of thumb on this connection. I want to take a lenth of hose with me when we use the sites 

Wayne

Hi Michele- Does the taste of the water differ from where it is filled up from, ie different sites or from home. My daughters last home she lived in was quite old and when she made a cup of tea it was like TCP had been added, ughh! I thought myself it could have been from the lead water pipework. I would suggest that the water tank is complete drained and filled with water from a good tasting source, and then try it, if it still tastes of TCP, its got to be the vans pipework or tank. Chas

[QUOTE]carebear - 2006-09-25 11:14 PM Hi We never drink the water in our tank , we have had 5 vans and always kept a container in the van for Drinking, Kettle or Cleaning teeth. Only use the tank water for washing up.[/QUOTE]Like carebear we never use water out of the onboard tanks for drinking purposes Michele. Much better to use a one gallon container which is replenished at regular intervals and leave the tank water for washing and showers etc. Never know whats lurking in those plastic bends and traps, especially after long periods in the sun. Howard.

Howard, If it's boiled then what harm can it do ...........Bit of muck never hurt anybody and all that ? (lol) Howard also we alway's use our water I don't think with all the junk we carry we could carry more , & as we alway's go to france that would be like carrying coal's to newcastle ;-)

Bramble's NO can't be, take the kettle out of the equation If the unit is empty brand new pick up.. Then you take it home to use . Fill with clean clear water then take a cup drink the water TCP..... Tried cleaning with various product's no good ... If you then make tea still TCP. What I,m trying to say is since the day it was picked up from newark any water it has had going through it tastes of TCP . Even when in storage it is emptied cleaned & re filled with different water different hose's depending on if at home or storage . Still TCP.. Anyone else with a problem on the Autotrail ?

I was so pleased to read this. We have had exactly the same problem in the last three vans,and thought it was a peculiar to us..All home conversions by myself.but all using different water systems.However,they all had one thing in common.....the flexible pipe from pump to tap.I therefore suspected this.My suspicions were confirmed by a bloke on a Water Filter stand at a recent M.home show who explained that the common blue pipe(sold in many caravan shops) that I had used, imparted the taste of the chemicals in it's plastic to the water.It's perfectly safe and hygenic, just tastes vile(as you say, like TCP)This guy advised me that CAK Tanks at Kenilworth sell a flexible pipe that doesn't taste. Apparently the boss there is very hot on this sort of thing. Haven't tried it myself yet as I sold my last van recently, and am only part way through my next conversion. Hope this helps,regards, Mike.

Michelle We have very good quality of water at home lovely and soft. We could never get the same quality when away in the van so to make life easier we bought a Brita water filter. We have never looked back and even the dogs prefer water from the filter. Tea no longer has scum on top and we are happy bunnies. Good luck Docted

[QUOTE]tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2006-09-26 4:40 PM Hi Michelle My wife can taste and smell any thing wrong with water or anything else at 500 yards but since we started using a filter jug three years ago she has never complained about taste or smell but I still treat my tank with the pills twice a year Terry[/QUOTE]This may be a possible cause of the problem Terry. We have used Miltons to treat the water systems for years without any problem. On one occasion we bought a cheaper product called aquaclean I think, and this gave us all the trouble as described by Michele. Howard.

We used to have problems with the water usually after rinsing out the tank with Milton, it used to take several fill ups before the cup of tea was reasonable. Got fed up and fitted a nature Pure filter from General Ecology, expensive but they claim you can fill up with canal water and it will filter out all the bugs. Do not intend trying that!. however since fitting the filter the water is a pleasure to drink, better than the tap water at home. Filled up in most countries in Europe and never had a problem with foul tasting water.

Michele has kindly posted this for me. Now that I am on the forum This water system has been a problem since collection in december 2005. The water system has been cleaned with 5 different makes of cleanser, we have tried steradent tablets, milton, and no matter what we try the water still tastes of TCP we have used 3 different hose pipes and tasted the water from the pipe and it is ok when we then fill the motorhome tank it immediately tastes of TCP. even if the tank is empty and you run the water into the tank and taste it from the open drain valve. Thankyou for your helpful replies. But I think it is back to Newark we go.!!!!!

Archived