Top Gear Petition

V6Jim

I realise a lot of you folks may not sympathise with this, but here is a link to a petition to save Top Gear. http://www.petitiononline.com/tg100/petition.html There are a number of people who feel that the exploits of the Top Gear presenters, highlighted by wee Richard Hammonds accident, warrant the show being axed. I realise this isn't directly realated to Motorhoming, but we are all drivers after all! Jimmy

I saw a clip recently where they had a camping weekend in a caravan which, of course, they all did their usual over the top bit on and it ended up in flames (what a surprise that was ...!). Yes, they have fun on the show, yes, they do things that others would dearly love to do, but sometimes they just go too far, both with the funny stuff - if you can call a fire in a caravan funny ... but then I am biased on this subject! - but also with the risks that they take. Whether Richard Hammond knew the risks or not, if the opportunity to do these sort of high risks stunts weren't given then the accidents wouldn't happen. The question as I see it is, "What purpose did the stunt serve to promote driving etc?". To me, they anwser is none. It was just them having fun doing something that they wouldn't do normally and getting us to pay for it in the process, more importantly, it encourages the presenters to put their lives at risk for a bit of TV viewing. I stopped watching the show ages ago as it just got daft - I like a bit of fun but it has turned more into the "Terrible Trio's Fun Time" than a real motoring show. I sincerely hope that Richard continues to improve though, he's a lovely chap and has more talent as a presenter than Clarkson!!! My view, others will differ I'm sure!

I used to enjoy Top Gear and have done so intermittently more recently. I find "fifth gear" on channel five more interesting and certainly more to do with motoring now (plus they have the gorgeous Vicki Butler-Henderson who happens to be an excellent driver to boot). I have found the more recent version of Top Gear to be a vehicle for Jeremy Clarkson, who I do quite like as a presenter, and his friends to clown around at our expense. I do see the "tongue in cheek" of the show but does it have to so firmly wedged there? I watched the recent show where they went "caravanning" and I thought it was pathetically poorly done. It was purported to be a serious look at caravanning as a holiday medium but all it did was poke fun at the lifestyle. Ok so we're motorhomers not caravanners but would it have been any different if they were in a motorhome? I doubt it. They'd still have gone to a site next to a railway line, James May would have driven it into a low bridge, Hamster wouldn't have been able to reach up into the overcab bed and Clarkson wouldn't have been able to get into the shower (too tall and too fat now I reckon)! And yes, they'd probably still have set fire to it and a caravan or two. I don't particularly care whether Top Gear stays or not, I'd rather watch Heartbeat. D.

Top Gear is probably my favourite programme on TV. It is pure entertainment and does not really claim to be anything else. OK, it's based around cars and driving, but it is really just the terrible trio goofing around in assorted vehicles. If you like he presenters and their relationships with each other then you'll enjoy the show. To me it acheives a nice balance of fact and fiction. The piss take on caravanners was pure fiction and, I have to agree, was just a bit too silly for my liking. On a previous show they attempted to build amphibious vehicles which required them to drive a certain distance on the roads then sail the same vehicle a certain distance in a lake. This was utterly brilliant and I nearly ended myself laughing! Good Stuff! Jimmy

Archived