Permanent rear view on Auto-Trail Savannah 2014

Bengie

Hi, I'm a relative newcomer to the forum. I wish to modify the circuit of the 13ELE2000 reverse camera feed, as fitted to the 2014 Auto-Trail Savannah, from 'view only in reverse' to 'view permanently' to keep an eye on the bikes. I understand the electronics two way switching but (a) how do I get the Radio/TV/GPS unit out to access the wiring and (b) is the camera power routed from the radio end or the reverse lights cable at the rear? as I wish to retain the original camera. Thanks.

To remove the dash mounted unit you have to remove the plastic inner surround ( which is not easy ) and use the metal pullers which should have been supplied to ease the unit out , sorry I cannot offer any photo's as my Autotrail its in storage. All the wires have ID lables on them which is handy . I had to pull my unit out because the sat-nav stopped working and found the cable connecters had jiggled apart .Also if you remove the main control panel from inside the top cupboard you will find all the cables which run below it , the camera cable from the rear is the one with the green connectors.

I have a Savannah (2012) I tried to do as you are considering, but in the end found it too complicated (and not helped by Autotrails insistance 'that it was not legal' ) in the end I bought a Twin camera System and removed the original camera set up, fitted a mirror mounted monitor. My system is now operated by the ignition (fed from the Cigar lighter feed) and is on all the time the ignition is on. 2 views one directely behind for reversing and The road behind (and our 'Towed car'). I dislike integrated 'dash mounted monitors' as the reflection makes them hard to see.

The original feed went through a relay (behind the Glove box) that was ONLY activated in reverse.

Good luck Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelly (and everyone), sorry 4 delay just got back from trip. You say the surround is not easy to remove, any clues on how? I have removed radios b4 with the pullers, but I don't want to break the surround and it looks pretty flimsy.

You mention connections under the control panel in top cupboard, is that the Sargent control panel in top cupboard over right hand settee??

If I can get to the camera video and 12 volt feed I will re-route to a mirror monitor as suggested.

Thanks in anticipation.

The main unit you need to remove is the PSU which has both the 12v and 240v controls and the RCD's which is held in place by 4 screws most of the cables form front to rear travel along under the unit . As for removing the dash mounted unit the flimsy plastic inner surround needs to be removed 1st , open the unit as if fitting a CD / DVD now comes the hard bit !! on both sides there are 2 small holes / slots you need to carefully push a small screwdriver or probe into the hole and push the little plastic tab in to release the surround top left / top right / bottom right are quite easy to get to , but the bottom left is obscured by the mechanism that operates to moving screen . Once the plastic surround is removed you should be able to withdraw the unit with the supplied pullers . Best of luck .

Archived