Chausson motorhomes

Knaus

Hi

We've just ordered the 610!for March delivery from Steve at Hayes leisure.

We have pondered down sizing for ages, we went to Dusseldorf and the Lebouget MH shows to look at most of the European manufacturers.

We chose Chausson because of its looks, garage, large wardrobe . Drop down bed ( we have an island bed at present ) and very importantly HAYES in Birmingham. This will be our 4th from them and have always been impressed with the service second to none.

Having spoken to Steve ( owner of Hayes ) we normally deal with Bill Hayes. We were happy that the bed as not caused concern, plus they have a manual override system.

The new fiat with the extras offered look great.

Den

For what it’s worth, there’s a comment on a French forum where a Chausson owner said that the ‘lit pavillon’ in his motorhome had needed three replacement electric motors. He added that, although the bed’s raising/lowering mechanism could be hand-cranked if there was a problem with the electrical operation, this was a laborious task taking a quarter to half an hour. He also mentioned that the bed (in its lowered position) lacked stability when being slept in, moving on its ‘slides’ and causing noise.

• 1 month later...
Hi, we've had our Ducato based Best of 510 for 5 months now, and we're pleased with the bed, we find leaving a thin mattress topper and a small amount of bedding on when travelling helps reduce movement and noise. A comfortable bed and I'm 6'3" & 16 stone, we don't use it at the ladder height, but lower it down further and use a small step to access the bed, it's also not noisey when in use either. The spiral power cable which has it's own channel so as to follow the bed up and down was sticking a bit, but a silicon rubber spray fixed that. The bed when first being lowered, should go to the ladder height and stop, if you ever have any problems with height settings, remove all bedding from the bed and raise the bed until it stops after contacting a micro switch on the wall near the ceiling, this tells the bed where it's reference point is, it will then work ok. Never had to use the manual handle - touchwood, what do I think of the bed? It's no better or worse than any other part of our Chausson motorhome. If you need any more info let me know.

Den - 2014-10-23 7:16 PM

Hi

We've just ordered the 610!for March delivery from Steve at Hayes leisure.

We have pondered down sizing for ages, we went to Dusseldorf and the Lebouget MH shows to look at most of the European manufacturers.

We chose Chausson because of its looks, garage, large wardrobe . Drop down bed ( we have an island bed at present ) and very importantly HAYES in Birmingham. This will be our 4th from them and have always been impressed with the service second to none.

Having spoken to Steve ( owner of Hayes ) we normally deal with Bill Hayes. We were happy that the bed as not caused concern, plus they have a manual override system.

The new fiat with the extras offered look great.

Den

Pleased you mentioned about Hayes as I am looking for a newer motorhome and they were one dealer I was thinking of getting in touch with but knew nothing about them. I will now go and see them with confidence. (but not looking seriously till after the new year)

I've purchased 3 LeVoyageurs of them so far, the service and back up is second to none. The last two MH's we collected from Levoyageur in France, all trains and flights booked by Bill Hayes for us to collect effortlessly. ( in fact very enjoyable ).

We have always been pleased with the price paid and PX.

Den.

Hi Knaus, no problem, the one thing I would prefer is if the diesel heating was gas or electric, it was nearly a deal breaker, even though it throws out plenty of heat. After a couple of changes by our dealer, i.e, running the grey waste by a flexi pipe to the near side, and fitting a kill switch to the vehicle battery, mounted on the passenger seat base, so that we can leave it on a storage site over the winter, we're well chuffed with the design.

Hi

Why do you say you wish you had gas or electric heating?

Yes did notice the grey water outlet was in the centre of the van. Was it difficult to fit a flexi hose to the tank and revert it to the side of the van. On site we use a black box container to empty the grey water so we don't have to keep moving the van to the waste area.

Thats interesting regarding the waste pipe and will ask Hayes to extend the pipe. I hadn't noticed that.

Even though I went to the Dusseldorf, Lebouget and the NEC to make sure we were happy with the design and make sure that some simular ones were no better.

I wasn't sure about the diesel heating,but after speaking to various users of diesel heating I'm happy to try it,and carrying less gas seems good. Also looking forward to the fitted BBQ.

First trip booked for 3 weeks in May. Roll on delivery in March.

Den

I have the side discharge option added to both waste tanks on my Flash S2.

They were fitted by the original owner, but to be honest I never use them, having the two waste tanks is a bonus, and you can go a fair while without worrying about disposal. The standard 'sluice' design works well and its gone in seconds. I watched a Bailey and an Elddis in France, and it took them forever with their tiny waste outlets - I know, I had to wait for them :-(

Diesel heating is fine, a bit power hungry on start up but other than that is great, and barely sips Derv.

Remember - Webasto and Eberspacher are used a lot in commercial and marine environments and have, on the whole, a good reputation.

Hi, regarding the heating, I find the diesel heating is hard to regulate at night times to a level which is low and quiet but not too hot, set it too low and it turns itself off after 20 mins, whereas on our Swift Escape we could set the Electric heating to very low, we've found the best way is to take a very small oil-filled radiator and run off the 240v supply, though I must say for quick heat, it's very effective and can be used when moving, good for keeping the passengers warm and frugal with the diesel as well. The waste pipe discharge pipe is quite easy, and very fast to discharge as noted by others, I can send you some images if needed. Regards, John

Hi, any help I can be with you with the Chausson, feel free to contact me, pleased that my experience with my M/H might be useful, Thought I'd mention kitchen worktop space can be a problem, we had the grill removed and a microwave fitted, which helps with the worktop space, the fridge and freezer capacity is great. I must re-iterate that after a few tweaks I'm pleased with the design overall.

I quite liked the look of the Chausson 510. Unfortunately their web pages are fairly limited in providing information on the tech spec, like bed sizes and prices. It would have been a serious contender but we just moved on to something else.

Den - 2014-12-01 5:03 PM

Thats interesting regarding the waste pipe and will ask Hayes to extend the pipe. I hadn't noticed that.

Even though I went to the Dusseldorf, Lebouget and the NEC to make sure we were happy with the design and make sure that some simular ones were no better.

I wasn't sure about the diesel heating,but after speaking to various users of diesel heating I'm happy to try it,and carrying less gas seems good. Also looking forward to the fitted BBQ.

Den

Diesel is the most expensive fuel you can use for heating because of the high tax it carries. Many boat owners have it but now that they have to pay full price for diesel most have installed separate tanks to fill with heating oil to avoid the tax. Not really practical in a motorhome. The other problem is the noise they make and the demands they make on the battery each time they cut in. Good idea if your setting off on an expedition where diesel is likely to be the only option due to its universal availability. If not best avioded.

Colin Leake - 2014-12-05 7:21 PM

Den - 2014-12-01 5:03 PM

Den

Diesel is the most expensive fuel you can use for heating because of the high tax it carries. Many boat owners have it but now that they have to pay full price for diesel most have installed separate tanks to fill with heating oil to avoid the tax. Not really practical in a motorhome. The other problem is the noise they make and the demands they make on the battery each time they cut in. Good idea if your setting off on an expedition where diesel is likely to be the only option due to its universal availability. If not best avioded.

We find that the diesel heating is noisy on start up and can be hard to regulate the temp.

However it uses very little fuel and warms the van to toasty.

The other advantage is that it saves gas and as we do not have gaslow or any similar system, we find a 6kg gas bottle lasts well over a year. We go away quite a bit as well. I think it uses about 1 litre of fuel every 4 hours, but I would have to look in the book.

Most sleeper cab lorries have diesel heaters of the same sort of design, so they can't be that expensive to run over a long time.

Aren't you pleased to see the Chauson 610 won

Non-fixed bed 2015

&

Motorhome of the Year 2015

I questioned our choice while waiting to take delivery in March. But on seeing the MMM awards 2015 in the latest mag, it make traveling to Dusseldorf, LeBouget and finally the NEC, where we placed our order seem Sane.

So Knaus you were right to look at the 610

Den

For anyone considering a motorhome based on the latest Ford Transit Mk 8, an Owner’s Manual can be downloaded from Ford’s website.

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual?selectedYear=2015&selectedModel=Transit

I’ve always found it useful to obtain an Owner’s Manual well before taking delivery of a vehicle just in case there’s anything unusual to be aware of (eg. the ‘drop down’ handbrake in the Ford’s case).

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Had the same problem. Solved it by leaving on the duvet and rising the bed so it pushed the duvet to the ceiling. This stopped the squeak which is caused by the runners moving as the bed moves from side to side.

Archived