Top window

nellie69

Hi I've just bought a Ford Herald Aragon,

Now its in pretty good shape, but There is one or two problems, the most obvious being the cracked leaking window over the cab which has a little water trapped in the middle of the sealed unit, I am going to try and get another made, but in the mean time is it worth drilling a small hole to let the water out..

Its dry on the inside and not causing any damage I can see, but is really bugging me.....

thanks

Neil

Personally, if it ain't leaking I would it all well enough alone until I had the new window, new rubber seal and the appropriate mastic type sealant all to hand and a dry day and a ladder handy to sort it - or if you are unsure entrust the work to an experienced caravan window fitter because the front top window get all the rain hammered at it at 60 mph and if there is a small leak you can be sure that will find it.

I can’t see any problem drilling a small drain-hole in the window’s cracked outer pane to let out the trapped water.

Your best bet (perhaps your only bet) for obtaining a new replacement window is the company Keith suggests, though you might - if you were very very lucky - find an undamaged window at a breaker’s.

Although Herald motorhomes are generally straightforward technically, some models had unusual features. For example, Aragons and Templars were designed around Atwood’s Confort 3 combination air/water heater. Problem resolution for this heater wasn’t easy even when Heralds were being built, while spares nowadays may prove extremely difficult to source.

The knowledge base for Herald motorhomes is embedded in the Compass and Herald Motorhome Club

http://compassandheraldmotorhomeclub.weebly.com/

and you might consider joining for expert up-to-date advice.

Cheers, I have emailed the company for a price, if its to expensive I'll probably leave it alone, it's probably been cracked for ages.

One of the selling points when I bought the motor home

was its had lots of work done, new truma unit, exhaust, tyres etc etc. Cosmetically it's not perfect but it is nearly 18 years old.

Luckily I work with someone who can make decals which will help

cheers again

Cheers, I have emailed the company for a price, if its to expensive I'll probably leave it alone, it's probably been cracked for ages.

was its had lots of work done, new truma unit, exhaust, tyres etc etc. Cosmetically it's not perfect but it is nearly 18 years old.

cheers again

nellie69 - 2014-10-26 11:31 AM

cheers again

Looking at the window, I'd guess they will probably need the original as a template for the replacement. Unless you keep the van under cover, this may be a job to delay until summer - in the hope of better weather. :-) It's going to have a large hole in its side for quite a while while you wait!

Archived