Bikes, a trailer and a car.

tonyishuk

I took two bikes for a time.but found we never used them much. The only thing you need to make sure of is the trailer nose weight.but its easy to balance the trailer with the car. I made my own bike carrier and had it powder coated.cost ten pounds all in.michael

Thanks for your replys and links.

We already have a Thule tow bar cycle carrier and I thought of mounting it either by bolting, or being a little clever with a tow bail mounted on the trailer bed.

Not too sure how much I would have to shuffle the car up and down the trailer when the bikes were . were not loaded, to keep the nose weight correct.

Its been many years since I played with shear forces and bending moments at college. I feel an Exel moment coming up.

Rgds

I must admit I'm a little ignorant when it comes to trailer balancing and nose weights etc.

I tow a small camping trailer 5' X 3'.6" behind our Bessie E460, which I use to carry mainly bulky items like sun chairs, waste water container, things that take room in the van but which are light.

I also had a two bike tow bar carrier I cannibalized this by removing the tow bar section I then bolted the frame onto the trailer A frame behind the ball hitch.

My question is, do I still have to worry about balancing the weight on this small trailer? I can't imagine such a relative small weight can effect the steering on a 3.5 ton van!

Thanks for any help.

In answer no you dont. A small trailer will not have the weights to worry about.nose weight is the downforce weight onto the towball.this should be around 60 to 75 pounds.then you trim the trailer so that the weight is even along the whole bed and if twin axle one axle is not carrying more then the load then the other.a eell balanced trailer will tow better, brake even and be a lot safer then an unbalanced one.michael

Archived