San Sebastian

MagHal

The site was OK, as a base to see the city. Like most sites near a city I wouldn't want to spend more than a few days. We were there at the same time as the English couple who said the staff were grumpy....maybe they had an attitude problem because we found the staff very friendly and I had a long chat with one of them. We would stay there again simply for the conveneince of getting into San Sebastian.

Thanks for replies.

I've a little time to consider. Would it be advisable to book now or could I leave it till early New year?

Orio looks OK, Igueldo looks OK too, but no frontiers to human nature. It's pricey but I only need to be there for max 4- 5 nights. The Aire seems fine but limited to 48 hrs?

We got into Igueldo 30 June without booking but it was getting full. For somewhere like San Sebastian it'sworth checking to make sure there is no big event that might fill the site. We were in Caceres once and it turned out Womad was there so the site was very full.

Quite by chance we happened on this site below, lovely terraced site, with helpful staff one of whom spoke fluent English which was a Godsend, when I discovered a slow puncture, arranging everything for us with a local garage, it's approx 20 miles out from San Sebastian, but as someone else has pointed out there is an aire ( paid by machine ) near the university ( signposted ) from where there is an excellent bus service right into the center / sea front of the town.

We used it as daytime parking, as it was so much more convenient than faffing around looking for parking, but also used it after staying at the site for a couple of nights.

We always do low season touring so cannot advise on needing to book, but it was quiet and peaceful, zero road noise as at the end of a dead end road, although the access was good.

Just hope you're not of a nervous disposition, some of the Basque drivers are fun, :D although San was beautiful and well worth the effort. I'm a bit jealous, a place we would return to without doubt.

http://www.campingitxaspe.com/

san.jpg.76fb0f3d52704d54100b82569ef20ac9.jpg

The area (aire) in San Sebastian is indeed in the university district and is made up mainly of modern student accommodation and study buildings. If you cycle there are good cycle routes down to the old town, which should take you no more than 15 minutes. The area has services.

It may be too far away but have you considered the campsite on the top of the hill at Zarautz? There's a lovely cliff-path walk to the town and at weekends the beach is taken over by football teams who mark out their pitches and can be watched from the promenade cafes.

Mad Mitch.

Archived