Motorhome Insurance

Peewee_Pete

Hi Everyone

Thought I would say hello and at the same time ask for some advice!

Been viewing the forums for a few weeks and had some interesting reading so thank you!

We have just agreed to buy a motorhome and are looking forward to collecting it. I work away a lot and I am completely sick of staying in hotels and decided to buy a motorhome instead,

I have bought the motorhome through the company, the company will own it and I need to make sure its insured for business use.

I have spent a while on the net and I am struggling to be able to do this easily, seems most sites won't accept the company as a registered keeper, and don't give me any option to add business miles, just SDP

does anyone have any experience of this? or any advice on who to go to for a quote?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Pete

Guest Had Enough

I recently had a quote from Comfort Insurance and they would include business use. The fact that yours will be owned by a company though suggests that you may be better to use an insurance broker who deals with business owners.

My firm has a small fleet of vehicles and we find it so much easier to have them dealt with by a professional and less complicated when we need service.

Forget trying to do it online and find a good local broker.

Had Enough - 2014-10-30 10:03 PM

I recently had a quote from Comfort Insurance and they would include business use. The fact that yours will be owned by a company though suggests that you may be better to use an insurance broker who deals with business owners.

My firm has a small fleet of vehicles and we find it so much easier to have them dealt with by a professional and less complicated when we need service.

Thanks

I think thats going to be the way to go , our other vehicles are privately owned and charged back to the company in mileage so this is a bit new to us!

Can anyone recommend a good broker for this type of insurance?

Guest Had Enough
Peewee_Pete - 2014-10-30 10:13 PM

Had Enough - 2014-10-30 10:03 PM

Thanks

I think thats going to be the way to go , our other vehicles are privately owned and charged back to the company in mileage so this is a bit new to us!

Can anyone recommend a good broker for this type of insurance?

A bit difficult as we don't know where you live! Your best bet is to ask around other businesses which you know may have company cars and see if they can recommend a local broker.

You could try the online editions of Yellow Pages as well.

Don't forget that you'll have a benefit in kind tax charge but I've no idea how the revenue will calculate it for a motorhome. You should check that with your accountant as soon as possible.

I have looked into this and your company can 'Own' the vehicle but as the sole/main driver you must be the 'Registered Keeper' with the DVLA. As long as you can have business use on your insurance you should be ok to drive to work.

Try this link. www.askthe.police.uk Then search 'Q743'

NB.

You may also need to hire the accomadation in the Motorhome once you arrive at your place of work, but if is your company then the rate can be at a reasonable market rate (bed only!) less your staff discount!!

Stage - 2014-10-30 11:24 PM

I have looked into this and your company can 'Own' the vehicle but as the sole/main driver you must be the 'Registered Keeper' with the DVLA. As long as you can have business use on your insurance you should be ok to drive to work.

Try this link. www.askthe.police.uk Then search 'Q743'

NB.

You may also need to hire the accomadation in the Motorhome once you arrive at your place of work, but if is your company then the rate can be at a reasonable market rate (bed only!) less your staff discount!!

I have also looked into this, with a Solicitor I know and I intend to keep the V5 in the company name, it has other benefits if it ever comes to points being issued, there will be other members of my company using it also

Just been on the phone to comfort and they can't help with business use they tell me

I once owned a MH in a business capacity (and was able to recover input VAT) and although I cant remeber how i did it, there was no difficulty getting insurance. Pretty sure I used a broker because it was before comparisson websites.

A friend did the same more recently and he used Swinton - but they charged him the earth for business use. By all means try the Caravan Cub etc but I suspoect you won't fit their insurance model. I would approach a broker and let them shop around for you.

Archived