BONNET stuck

crob

I have a Hymer and the bonnet release cable isn't releasing the bonnet. I have tried the "usual" remedies - me pulling on the cable under the dashboard with someone pushing the top of the bonnet, pulling it, hitting it - all to no avail. It's not like a car with a conventional radiator grille to fiddle things through.

Any suggestions please? I'm sure I won't be the first one with this problem.

Ta ever so.

This happened to me!

I had to take off the panel under the bonnet handle, inside the motorhome. I found the cable pull retainer had snapped off on the handle.

I then had to move the cable to a convenient position and pulled the inner cable to open the bonnet, using a 'Mole' grip tool.

When opened I then fitted cord around the bonnet catch. The cord was stationed close to the bonnet front so I could pull it and open it when required.

This temporary fix lasted a month while we were in France. Returning home I purchased a new bonnet cable and fixed repair.

It should be fairly apparent, when pulling the bonnet-release handle, whether or not the cable has broken or become detached from the handle or from the under-bonnet release mechanism.

If little or no effort is needed when pulling the handle, the cable can reasonably be assumed to have broken or become detached at one end or the other. If one is lucky, the fault will be at the handle-end and the type of ploy BrianBW used will be practicable: if the cable has become detached at the under-bonnet release mechanism, or broken part way along its length, getting the bonnet open will be much more challenging.

If it feels like the cable is still attached to the under-bonnet release mechanism, it might be worth (rather as BrianBW did) trying detaching the cable’s inner from the bonnet-release handle and attaching something to the end of the inner cable (Use your initiative!) that will allow a stronger ‘pull’ to be applied to it. Then try the pulling/pushing/hitting exercise again while yanking hard on the inner cable.

There are a few on-line discussions about Hymer bonnet-release problems (GOOGLE on “hymer bonnet catch”) but I think none of these relate to A-class models.

Generic advice is provided here

http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/4eci8-bonnet-class-v-reg-when-bonnet-release-pull.html

Should the problem turn out to be under the bonnet, if anyone will be able to say whether there’s a magic opening method it’s likely to be Hambilton Engineering

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/finding.html

lennyhb - 2014-10-31 2:55 PM

LordThornber - 2014-10-31 1:29 PM

And I keep hearing these Hymers are bomb proof, (no German pun intended )

Buy British :D :D

Martyn

At least with a Baily you get a spare water tank above the cab. (lol)

Absolutely Lenny, and not an extra either...

Martyn

Thanks for your responses, both amusing & helpful. I went to the van today when my son was here as an extra pair of hands & gently pulled on the bonnet opening lever & to my absolute amazement it opened straight away without a problem! I saw that the cable had come away from the catch - maybe earlier it was jammed somehow.

So a happy chappy!!!

Archived