leisure battery not charging with hook up

old scot

Hi Folks this is my first time posting so hope you can help. have 2006 Elddis Autoquest 180, was off for a few days and on the last day found that internal lights would not work and battery state showed dead. the internal sockets worked so TV and kettle worked fine but battery would not charge from hook up although it would charge if engine was started. Any ideas would be appreciated or is it a case of silly old fool

It’s likely, John, that you have a handbook for your Autoquest, but if not a 2005/2006 version can be downloaded from here

http://www.elddis.co.uk/documents/Brochures/2006/motorhome-handbook.pdf

Although mains power is clearly entering the motorhome (the interior sockets are ‘live’) the Autoquest wiring-diagram on Page 70 of the downloadable handbook suggests that the battery-charger is on a different circuit to the sockets. Consequently, check that none of the MCBs (miniature circuit breakers) on the mains unit is in the OFF position. (Page 20 of handbook)

I don’t know the manufacturer of the electrical equipment fitted to your motorhome (Sargent perhaps?), so I can’t offer advice on specific trouble-shooting. As Michael says, check all fuses.

This earlier forum thread discusses Elddis leisure-battery fuses

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Elddis-Leisure-Battery-Fuses/21370/

Just to add my two penneth, I got caught out once with my previous van ( although not your make ) with no charge getting to the leisure batteries, discovered there was a switch on the charger unit itself, that for reasons that remain a mystery had got switched off, might be worth a look, my current Rapido also has a push button on / off switch on the charger as well.

Archived