Satellite TV installation

Motorhome Medic

Hi everyone.

This is my first post as a novice motorhomer. We have just ordered our first motorhome and are considering what satellite TV system to install. Having researched reception area and dish size,etc. we thought that a satdome would suit our needs, with the advantage of being a neat enclosed unit. However, I have calculated that fitting a dome would increase the vehicle height to 3.185m. As we plan to tour "across the channel" would having a +3m motorhome be advisable? I have read that some toll roads charge more for vehicles over 3m in height (are they that strict?) and it would also increase ferry charges? Would it be better to have a fold down dish?

I would appreciate any advice from you experienced guys! :-S

Guest Had Enough

I'll deal with the height problem first. My last 'van, which I've just sold, was under 3 metres high but the dome, like yours, took it to over three metres. When booking a ferry I always told them that my motorhome was under three metres, and have never had a problem. When you get on the boat there isn't a section where the ceiling height is three metres with just a few centimetres clearance. You're normally with the lorries, where there's a massive amount of headroom.

I've never felt guilty about this, as the three metre cut-off is to differentiate between very big motorhomes and more modest-sized ones and, without the dome, yours is definitely in the modest range.

On French toll roads I was always charged Class 2, which is under 3 metres. If a machine ever tries to charge you class three just press the button and say 'Class deux'.

Dome or dish?

Swings and roundabouts. Domes are protected so less chance of faults owing to weather. They can be used in the highest winds where you'd have to wind down a dish, which would act like a sail and may be damaged.

My Tracvision R4 dome stopped working properly halfway down France, Although I could still get Sky News farther south. An 85 cm dome will definitely give you coverage much farther south but, with the new footprint, you're unlikely to get a decent signal in southern Spain.

It also depends what your main interest is. If you want to get the usual channels as much as possible, you should go for the dish. If however, you're happy with the news programmes, as I am, you can switch satellites and get Sky, CNN and maybe the BBC news (can't remember this for sure) on Hotbird or Astra 1.

Using our dome, we were getting news programmes in the south of Morocco this year, using, if memory serves, Hotbird.

So, no easy answer. It's like the motorhome/caravan conundrum. Either has advantages over the other and either has disadvantages.

My latest motorhome, which I collect in a few days, comes complete with an 85 cm Oyster auto-dish so, having had two domes so far, I'll soon be able to report on the difference between them and my new system.

We had an Oyster 85cm on the last van, often had to put it down in high winds.

I put a Snipe on the new van, woks very well and a third of the price of an Oyster, only 180mm high (approx). French trip in September locked on to Astra2 as far south as northern Provence, that was a bit of a welcome surprise, also had it up without problems in gale force winds.

I got fed up with setting up a tripod satellite dish and chose a dome because it seemed a better way of protecting what looked like a vulnerable aerial system. I chose a low profile dome, so we could stay below 3 metres to get the MH into the garage, sacrificing the larger dish I might otherwise have been able to have. It has worked out well and I have no regrets, although I suspect I was being over-sensitive about the need for weather protection with a dome. We have had reception far above my expectations.

So although there probably is still a low profile dome option, I no longer think that a dome is necessary for protection reasons. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that French Tolls don't count aerials for height, so as long as you can put up with having to press the button and explain that it's your aerial when necessary, that shouldn't be a problem either.

Because of the reduced satellite footprint since Feb 2014, you are going to lose most British channels around Toulouse and into Germany anyway, so I suspect th extra cost of automatic skew adjustment is OTT.

Your choice, Hope this is useful.

If you are going to use the motorhome abroad think carefully before committing to a dome. At a time when reception is getting increasingly difficult why go for a dome with a dish about half of that offered by a decent 85cms dish? Additionally it can be more expensive on a ferry. I was measured last week at Santander and the guy told me that there was a definite 3m height limit for loading on the main vehicle deck. If you are over you could be charged or worse still get your dish ripped off.

StuartO - 2014-11-02 9:05 PMBecause of the reduced satellite footprint since Feb 2014, you are going to lose most British channels around Toulouse and into Germany anyway,

You'll be OK in West Germany until about Eisenach or thereabouts. Definitely no FTA channels by the time you get to Erfurt.

I use an Oyster 85cm. dish and find the auto search facility a real benefit, I do retract it when there are very high winds but only had to do that two times in past five years.

Mike88 - 2014-11-02 8:40 PM

If you are going to use the motorhome abroad think carefully before committing to a dome. At a time when reception is getting increasingly difficult why go for a dome with a dish about half of that offered by a decent 85cms dish? Additionally it can be more expensive on a ferry. I was measured last week at Santander and the guy told me that there was a definite 3m height limit for loading on the main vehicle deck. If you are over you could be charged or worse still get your dish ripped off.

I have been surprised by how well my low profile dome has performed. Last year (pre-footprint shrinking) I was getting decent reception right down on to the South Coast of France. This year we only travelled to the Loire but faultless reception there again.

Now that the satellite footprints have shrunk for British channels, and no matter how big a dish you have you will not get them beyond nearby France and Germany. I would think the advantages of having a bigger dish by not having a dome have now been reduced considerably.

I suppose if you have a very tall dome or a very tall motorhome or both there might be extra problems with ferry and toll charges if it takes you over 3 metres but I've not encountered any with my B Class Hymer.

You can even use a sanef toll transponder if marginally over 3m, it will let you onto the toll roads through the "T" gate (not the under 2m one obviously) and when you get to the end just press the help button and as explained "Moins de trois metres" gets you through in class 2.

By the way.....I've never watched British TV when touring, missed the whole Scottish referendum this year and didn't know we were still a uK until we got back.

Summer schedules are rubbish anyway, I could understand if you are overwintering in a car park somewhere, but Internet and catching up with classic films is enough for me.

"Now that the satellite footprints have shrunk for British channels, and no matter how big a dish you have you will not get them beyond nearby France and Germany. I would think the advantages of having a bigger dish by not having a dome have now been reduced considerably."

Not quite the case. I have just returned from the South of Spain. I didn't bother to use my satellite dish as I was plugged into the campsite's system. But there were others on the site who were able to receive terrestrial TV except BBC on an 85 cms dish. Those who had Sky subscriptions were able to receive all the Premium channels using their Sky receivers and cards brought from home. On the way home last week I tried my skewed 65cms dish in Madrid. I was surprised at the number of channels I could receive including Sky News and a few reality and film programmes on 28.2 as well as the rubbish on Astra 1 and Hotbird..

It seems to me that if a satellite system is required for use abroad then a larger dish would be the sensible option to take.

Just the basic one, the pro has only recently been available, apart from a sightly bigger dish I don't see what you get for twice the price.

I had a look at the Avtex site who import & distribute the Snipe the pro is not even mentioned.

I did have to pay a silly price for the mounting plate (£92) I brought it as my dealer was fitting the Snipe for me as it was on a new van. I could probably have made one for less than 20 quid.

Hardest bit is finding a route through the van for the cables.

If you buy their expensive mounting plate it's really easy, the plate is a piece of 4mm anodised aluminum the same shape as the base of the snipe with 8 S/S rivet bushes.

A friend of mine made a mounting plate out of plywood , if you do that best to use WBP or marine ply and paint it well.

Archived