Motorehome Insurance Quote compared for you for 2014

chris

Last year I notified people of my trawl through different insurance company quotes. http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-Insurance-quotes-compared-for-you/33207/

This year we have changed our van for a new Dethleffs coachbuilt value £61000 and we have included european breakdown etc. Quotes were :-

Safeguard (renewal quote ) £491.53

Caravanguard £470.50 ( but we would have to buy a tracker as over £55000)

Saga.....I gave up as they had to refer everything and he didnt know enough about the vehicles

Scenic £395.59

Comfort £369.80

After reading the Which Motorhome Insurance review April 2014, together with the price, the winner this year was .....................COMFORT.

We did not try CCC as they only give you 1 year new for new on replacement as all others give 2 years or maximum 12000 mls (comfort)

Chris

For the last 4 years Comfort have come out tops for us premium this year for the new van value 62k was £252, breakdown cover would have been another £58 but I'm happy with the Fiat cover for the first 2 years.

A lot of other companies wanted a Tracker and Caravan Guard won't insure imports.

Just had another quote through from Lifesure and it was £459 without including a "no claims bonus protection" Too late anyway

It seems that you have to have a tracker as you say but what was good with Caravanguard is that they will provide you with a green card for Bosnia and also Macedonia. Obviously not going there again this year but it is important for those who want to visit Dubrovnik and do not want to catch the ferry there.

cHRIS

lennyhb - 2014-11-04 5:56 PM

For the last 4 years Comfort have come out tops for us premium this year for the new van value 62k was £252, breakdown cover would have been another £58 but I'm happy with the Fiat cover for the first 2 years.

A lot of other companies wanted a Tracker and Caravan Guard won't insure imports.

I have a feeling Comfort Insurance demand that a Thatcham Category 1 alarm system be fitted to any motorhome over a certain value (£55k?)

Is that correct, please?

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-05 6:27 PM

I have a feeling Comfort Insurance demand that a Thatcham Category 1 alarm system be fitted to any motorhome over a certain value (£55k?)

Is that correct, please?

yes that is correct derek

the alarm doesn't have to be on there list as long as it is thatchem cat 1 approved

jon

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-05 6:27 PM

Is that correct, please?

Yes I had to fit one but at least they don't require a tracker.

My insurance was lower this year £301 compared to £365 last. And that included towing my car on an A- frame cover. Value £54000, with the caravan club.No breakdown cover.I do that through green flag for both vehicles.No alarm or tracker reqd.

Just as a matter of interests, Comfort include (no option!) pan-Euro breakdown. Have you allowed for this within the other quotes, which in previous years I found they were then less compettiatve, so I have stayed with Comfort over the years. They also can sometimes be persuaded to reduce slightly to more of less 'price match' others.

Keith T - 2014-11-09 10:39 PM

Just as a matter of interests, Comfort include (no option!) pan-Euro breakdown.

AFAIK, this is an option (there website currently states it is).

They may well quote by default with it included, but I have no doubt you can "deselect" it.

Having said that, if you want/need such cover, it is a cost-effective way of buying it.

Sadly the way motor insurance is sold in UK, including MH insurnace, we seem to have little alternative to shopping around afresh each year, to take account of price matching and other offers. I'm currently on a price match deal which worked in my favour with the CC scheme, but I doubt if it will renew competitively, we'll see.

The approach I take is to ensure above all that the policy I am buying is a sound one, and that the insurance company is likely to settle claims without quibbling unduly, although of course they must all be expected to question claims carefully these days.

I had faith that the CC would be a fair ultimate arbitrater if I got into an argument over an insurance claim but I no longer think that has any value at all. CC is not really a memebership organisation at all and being a "member" counts for absolutely nothing. It's a business run by its managers (to their entire satisfaction) and members have no real say or redress at all.

Buying motor insurance isn't easy for the consumer and it certainly isn't just a question of buying on price alone.

Archived