Newport Pagnell

RamblingAlex

Hi all,

I've been offered a job just outside Bedford and we're hoping to move after Christmas. It's hard to know where to look at the minute as we're still working up here and haven't got much time to go down and have a look around until next month but we're looking a bit further out, maybe towards Milton Keynes.

Is this http://www.wilsonpeacock.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Newport-Pagnell/1353 a fair indication of house prices around that area? Any suggestions will be welcome, it's not an area I know well, I'd only heard of Newport Pagnell in a Smiths song, which shows my age :)

If you search the land registry and the Nationwide house price indices there is lots of info that allows you research and compare prices in various local authority and postcode areas.

Bear in mind that an average price consists of extremes and anomalies and is a guideline only and the best way is to compare online yourself by creating an account on Right Move and saving those homes that appeal to you on first glance then later on weeding out those that don't suit on reading more and seeing what you are left with that are both suitable and affordable.

Not difficult but very time consuming and even with Google street view there is no substitute for a time saving 'drive by' gander prior to booking a viewing.

Milton keynes was a NEW Town, so has a wide variety of priced houses, and is Buckinghamshire. Bedford is a lovely area and is probably cheaper. If as you say , you don't know the area, I would get a map and look at all the areas around. You may find that prices in MK are relativly high, compared to Yorkshire, as it is commuter territory to London.as is Bedford. Work out how far you are prepared to travel to work, and what roads to use. I would avoid the M1

Good luck with your job and move

PJay

PJay - 2014-11-05 6:43 PM

Milton keynes was a NEW Town, so has a wide variety of priced houses, and is Buckinghamshire. Bedford is a lovely area and is probably cheaper. If as you say , you don't know the area, I would get a map and look at all the areas around. You may find that prices in MK are relativly high, compared to Yorkshire, as it is commuter territory to London.as is Bedford. Work out how far you are prepared to travel to work, and what roads to use. I would avoid the M1

PJay

Nice place if you like roundabouts. :-D John

Thanks, I had heard about the roundabouts :)

That's all great advice though, I'll have a look on rightmove, the last time I moved there wasn't anything like that so it's all a bit new.

I think we need to get ourselves down there and have a proper look around and get a feel for the place.

Thanks again.

teflon2 - 2014-11-05 7:57 PM

PJay - 2014-11-05 6:43 PM

PJay

Nice place if you like roundabouts. :-D John

One of our sons lives in MK. Given the number of roundabouts and the high speed sections in between them front tyre and break wear is considerable to put it mildly. Having said that he has a house backing on to one of the lakes and I must say when we stay there to look after his dog when they are on holiday we enjoy it. Wonderful shopping center, plenty of good walks all over the place round the lakes and down the canal. Everthing is well planned and the houses are not all crushed in. Everything is very well kept. Plenty of proper cycle tracks etc.

The journey time between MK and Bedford is genraly much better now due to J13 improvements and the new section of a421, but just at moment there are further road works between j13 and MK which are holding things up.

As peter say northhampton is cheaper, I live in easy commuting distance of bedford in mid beds, as a guide , an ex council 3bed mid terraced house will set you back about £200,000 here.

Archived