Road Tax new rules will it ever work???

Chausson le mor

Does anybody believe that not displaying a valid tax disk will work in stamping out those that don't bother paying?

Take my example for various reasons declared SORN on 31 September. Got confirmation email.

Remembered van needed MOT drove to MOT on 12 October in Bristol ( Bristol if you don't know have cameras everywhere including those that read your licence plate). Drove along all the main roads went home after MOT passing 2 police cars both heading towards me!

So here we are 6 November no notices nothing from DVLA saying I was spotted in Bristol when my vehicle was declared SORN!

So my conclusion will anyone get caught under this new system of tax disk less displaying?

To reiterate I am not suggesting to anyone not to tax their vehicle but will the system work???

Anyone any comments?

Checks are done electronically, IF you passed an ANPR camera then it would have registered that your vehicle was MOT'd that particular day, your van was already SORN'd therefore as long as your insurance was valid then there was no offence committed.

As for the 2 police cars, not every car is equiped with ANPR capability.

Will the new system of no disc work? it's more effective than the current sytem because there were 1000s of altered or stolen disc on cars, hard to do that when there's no need for a disc to be on display.

Most of the new traffic cars have NPRC scanners in them linked to the DVLA data base, but you loose out on bobby on the beat, traffic wardens and many others who could easily spot & report an untaxed car. I can only see more people not taxing their vehicles as chance of getting caught is even lower now.

What is worrying, is usually an untaxed car means an uninsured car, so we will probably get even more uninsured drivers on the road.

Who else remembers the time when a lot of cars displayed a Guiness label in the place of a tax disc and got away with it?

One thing to watch is when buying a vehicle it will be untaxed on transfer of ownership so make very sure that you change ownership before taking out a new period of tax.

Dave

Guest Had Enough

Bobbies on the beat find it hard to spot a fake tax disc, but now a quick radio call will tell them if a car is taxed or not. Police in cars find it very hard to spot a missing disc or an outdated one. Now many will have an immediate check on whether a vehicle is taxed.

The police will conduct regular APNR camera checks, just as they do now with mobile speed camera checks. And of course they'll do them where they suspect there may be a higher than average rate of tax dodging.

It will work and will be much more efficient than the old paper disc.

It will also fairer. I sold my motorhome a few weeks ago and two weeks later I got a cheque for £95, which was the balance on my tax.

I have removed the discs from my other two vehicles and am glad to see the back of them.

If anything, the new system will result in fewer untaxed cars which also means fewer uninsured cars as you can't insure a car unless it's taxed.

Guest Had Enough
Keithl - 2014-11-06 5:08 PM

Had Enough - 2014-11-06 4:54 PM

... as you can't insure a car unless it's taxed.

Sorry HE but wrong way round. You can't TAX a car unless it's insured.

Keith.

Thank you, I stand corrected. I thought it applied both ways. Although, if someone is willing to pay insurance I suspect that that they're also the type who'll tax their car as well.

Re

One thing to watch is when buying a vehicle it will be untaxed on transfer of ownership so make very sure that you change ownership before taking out a new period of tax.

Dave

Hi, I've just bought a second hand vehicle, you now can't drive a vehicle away until you've taxed it, so you have to tax it before you've changed the ownership.

You need to insure it before you tax it. Then you can tax it online with the info on the V5C registration Document,possibly immediately after you've paid over the money for it and then the dealer or previous owner either sends off the change of ownership or he gives the old V5C to you to send off.

So the cancellation of vehicle duty on sale of a vehicle has really mucked up picking up a new vehicle

alan

nowtelse2do - 2014-11-06 6:04 PM

1st day of the month will be the best day to buy or sell.

Dave

Err, not quite.

Best day to sell = last day of month as refunds are in full months

Best day to buy = first day of month as you pay in full months

Tracker - 2014-11-06 7:16 PM

nowtelse2do - 2014-11-06 6:04 PM

1st day of the month will be the best day to buy or sell.

Dave

Err, not quite.

Best day to sell = last day of month as refunds are in full months

Best day to buy = first day of month as you pay in full months

Bl**dy hell Rich...I was only 2 seconds out 8-) :-D

Dave

Guest Had Enough

Well, anyone crossing the Thames at Dartford had better have tax and insurance as there'll be 18 number plate recognition cameras checking on every vehicle.

This of course is because the toll booths go at the end of this month and we'll have to pay online or by phone. Far fewer long queues hopefully.

ANPR, and the MOT and MID databases are all very well but that assumes the vehicle is traceable with a genuine keeper and a genuine address and without a physical presence to stop vehicles to find out the truth the untraceables will remain just that.

Unless the cameras at the Dartford crossing refuse to allow non legal vehicles to pass - but I just hope I'm not in the queue behind one, and that there are plenty of coppers on hand to deal with it?

But never mind just as long as honest traceable people who make a mistake can go on keeping the revenue feed strong as well as subsidising the crooks that is OK.

Personally I would prefer to see tamperproof insurance certificates and MOT discs in a car window as proof they exist and if it adds £1 to the cost it would be a small price to pay, especially if members of the public were encouraged to ring crimestoppers with make, reg number and location of vehicles spotted without valid discs?

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-11-07 10:06 AM

I've just bought a car with Polish number plates on..............that'll fool em. ;-)

You just need to clone the number plate of a vehicle that matches yours ;-) ..............

How will the foreign tourist in their cars pay?

For missing a £2.50 toll:-

£35 if paid within 14 days

£70 if paid within 70 days

£105 Thereafter.

Up to 1 in 14 are expected not to pay. You can't pay by cheque B-). It comes in force on the 30th November....the same day as the toll (sorry, it's now labled a Congestion Charge) rises from £2 to £2.50......My what a coincidence 8-)

And the best bit........The French company Sanef has a 10yr contract worth £367m to run it for the Government.

We probably don't have a company that can run it now because all what was ours are owned by foreign ones.

Another Government promise broke. After the bridge had been paid for it was going to be free. It was paid for in 2003.

And pay by either phone (they will need your card details) or set up a pre pay account, or post (in advance)

Dave

Guest Had Enough
malc d - 2014-11-07 12:26 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a power cut in the Dartford area.

Will they close the crossing ?

;-)

Why would they close the crossing? If they do they'll get no revenue. If they simply let cars drive through when the cameras aren't working they'll still get no revenue, so why would they bring the entire Greater London area to a standstill by closing the crossing? They gain nothing.

Apart from which I suspect that, like other important computer installations, there'll be a privately generated back up system.

And a few foreigners may well not pay the tolls. So what? Millions will be saved by not having toll booths and having to handle loads of cash and, most important of all, we'll all be able to sail through and not have to sit in long queues.

Beats me how anyone can be against this, I welcome it.

Archived