Stain on washroom sink

PJay

Hi Guys and Girls

Any one have a sugestion on what I can use to get the brown stain off the basin ? I have tried bicarbonate of Soda. Left it on for a while as a paste, but has not made much difference. Any one found anything that works. The sink is a greyish colour.

PJay

Hi Pauline,

We had a water mark in the dark grey sink of our AT when we bought it and I managed to remove it by polishing with Rustins Burnishing Cream Link.

I bought mine from Axminster Tools but they don't seem to list it at the moment :-(

I have tried other makes but find Rustins the best.

Keith.

Alternatively try T cut or Brasso, both are mild abrasives.

First of all is it a plastic sink, then is it a "self inflicted" stain, rather than one that's appeared over time, if the latter it may be a chemical in the plastic that migrates to the surface, or so I have read, I have similar staining in our bathroom sink, and nothing I have tried has been successful, and I've tried lots of things, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Depends what it is made of, but if the sink is self coloured, ie the same colour all the way through, T cut or similar is good for removing scratches and stains and will buff up well afterwards when used with care, but if it only has a thin top surface colour coating beware of rubbing right through it.

pepe63 - 2014-11-06 8:27 PM

This may sound daft but how about trying to gently buff it out with a little toothpaste?

(..It gave good results when getting rid of hedge scratches from our previous MH's "plastic" windows..)

Pepe, we have used tooth paste for the scratches on the windows, also, did work up to a point, but ours is a deep one, from a wing mirror of a lorry, so did not get it all out

Joe90 - 2014-11-06 8:33 PM

First of all is it a plastic sink, then is it a "self inflicted" stain, rather than one that's appeared over time, if the latter it may be a chemical in the plastic that migrates to the surface, or so I have read, I have similar staining in our bathroom sink, and nothing I have tried has been successful, and I've tried lots of things, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Yes it is plastic, and self inflicted (like that!), as I have always wiped the sink after use.

From your replies, I guess it is a common happening. I have had a thought , (while typeing this!!) We have somewhere in our garage some stuff (No idea what it is called) which we where given for fibre glass cleaning, when we had our boat, that is a paste.It did use to get tide marks, caused by the water off. I will look for it when I get home (currently dog sitting in Yorkshire). The other thing maybe ,something that cleans PVC. As Rich says, though, I don't want to rub a hole , better a stained sink than a holey one, which would cost, as the complete unit includes a long panel/door

If I get a result, will let you know, Joe 90

PJay

It may well be a cleaning product you've used - some are prone to affecting the plasticisers often used in the manufacture. But is more likely to be something that has migrated to the surface.

It will depend on the substrate - whether it's ABS, GRP or an 'ethane product.

Y10 - a well known marine cleaner, as amazing at cleaning heavy stains on GRP boat hulls, including rust.

The cheaper alterative is using a well diluted Oxalic acid - available from most chemists.

Unfortunately if the stain is caused by a leaching effect it may prove difficult to remove.

Obviously - test an area first is attempting the any of the above!

Karscher RM 760.

It's available on eBay in small amounts approx £3 - £4, you don't have to buy a big tub.

I discovered this whilst at BMW, chap there had been valeting for 30+ years and this product was the only detergent based item he would use.

Hot water, cold, it doesn't matter. He said use it on anything and he was right. I thought our last van was spotless until I used this stuff - how wrong I was.

Make sure the item is reasonably clean, I.e free of dust or dirt, wipe or rub with this stuff and rinse or wipe with a clean cloth.

Small amounts in a kettle size amount of water works well enough.

Martyn

I believe Pauline’s motorhome is a 2006 Swift Sundance 590RS.

On-line images suggest that the washroom sink is integrated into a large, fairly complex, moulding made (I suspect) from acrylic plastic rather than GRP.

My own feeling is that, with an 8-year-old sink made of that type of material, if mild treatments like bicarb or toothpaste prove to be ineffective at removing the stain, it’s best left alone. Experimenting with cutting agents suitable for polishing harder materials such as metals or GRP would be a risky approach.

I would not, and have not advocated the use of abrasive cleaners.

Cutting back the substrate is hardly going to remove any stains/marks that have been caused by leaching.

If the item in question is acrylic or of a similar nature, then it's most likely this is migration and therefore difficult or impossible to eradicate

I tried abrasives, bleach, and a few other things like bicarb and mayonaise ( stop sniggering),

Nothing would touch the grey.brown staining on my off white sink.

Because I like everything spick and span (lol) eventually I rubbed it down with wet and dry and sprayed it with "Rustoleum" paint. I used several coats and it looks fine. It's been on for a year plus and withstands

all the usual cleaners etc and even very hot water (not boiling).

The paint cost me about a fiver, a lot cheaper than a new sink at £150!

H

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-07 9:32 AM

I believe Pauline’s motorhome is a 2006 Swift Sundance 590RS.

On-line images suggest that the washroom sink is integrated into a large, fairly complex, moulding made (I suspect) from acrylic plastic rather than GRP.

My own feeling is that, with an 8-year-old sink made of that type of material, if mild treatments like bicarb or toothpaste prove to be ineffective at removing the stain, it’s best left alone. Experimenting with cutting agents suitable for polishing harder materials such as metals or GRP would be a risky approach.

You are correct Derek. I am inclined to agree with all you have said. I have not tried the toothpaste trick yet, will have a go when I get the chance.

It would be nice to see the sink without the stain, but I can live with it.

At our ages we are not planning to change van, will keep for as long as we are able , then when we come to sell, the age of the van , one would expect some wear, and the price will reflect this

Maybe will try a whitening toothpaste!!

P

If you are sure the stain is a surface deposit (and you probably should be able to tell this by ‘feel’) you might want to try a denture cleaning paste. For example

http://www.wilko.com/denture-care/dentu-creme-denture-cleansing-toothpaste-fresh-mint-48ml/invt/0034154

If you believe the stain is actually part of the washbasin’s plastic material, then (as globebuster advises) eradicating it will be difficult/impossible and (in my opinion) best not attempted.

Archived