Truma EH6002 condensate

ianj8793

I have the EH 6002 and for a while there has been a steady drip from the condense tube (Not the safety drain valve) this has become at times quite a puddle and I can see moisture in the clear tube. The water is very hot but then I suppose it should when set on 60 degrees. The same thing happens whether on gas or electricity and having the heating on or off makes no difference. I do get the occasional small dump of water from the safety drain valve so I am wondering if the water is overheating and causing excess pressure in the system.

Has anyone experience a similar issue?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

When you mention the “condense tube”, I think you are referring to the plastic tube that leads downwards from the elbow fitting on the side of the heater towards its top and from which hot water leaves the heater. An example of the elbow fitting is shown here

http://www.thetrumacentre.co.uk/magento/truma/tma/truma-c3402-6002-elbow-fitting.html

Besides providing a hot water outlet connection, this fitting includes a ‘breather’ ventilation valve that allows air to enter the heater when it drains (eg. if the anti-frost safety/drain valve opens). A small amount of water will normally pass through the tube when the heater is being filled but, once the heater is full, no water should pass through the tube. You could try removing, disassembling and cleaning out the elbow fitting just in case there’s something inside (eg. a bit of grit) that is preventing a proper seal being made, but, realistically, you’d be better just to replace the complete elbow fitting.

It’s possible that the heater is heating the water to too high a temperature and this is the cause of the safety/drain valve letting water through. However, I suspect the occasional leak is due to the valve no longer sealing adequately. The likely cure would be replacement of the safety/drain valve.

Truma’s Operating Instruction document for the C-6002EH heater includes the following trouble-shooting advice relating to the electrically-operated safety/drain valve (which I assume is the type of drain-valve you have rather than the manually-operated version):

"Water dripping from the electrical safety/drain valve.

– Water pressure too high.

– Check pump pressure (max. 2.8 bar). If connected to a central water supply (rural or urban connection), a pressure reducer must be used, which will prevent pressures higher than 2.8 bar entering the boiler.”

I don’t know off-hand at what overpressure the electrically-operated valve is designed to begin to let water through, but the data for the Truma “FrostControl” valve now used are as follows:

"Function description

Overpressure safety valve

At an overpressure of up to max. 4.5 bar (e.g. created when heating up the boiler), the FrostControl opens automatically and releases the overpressure to the outside intermittently via a draining connection.”

If your motorhome (it might be useful to know its make, model and year of manufacture) has a very powerful water pump able to pressurise the water system to a high pressure when the water is cold, when the water is heated that pressure will rise and, if it rises sufficiently, the safety/drain valve will perform its design function by opening intermittently to lower the pressure.

I would have thought it should be apparent when a tap is open whether the water system is highly pressurised. What water pump have you got?

As you say, a 60°C water temperature is pretty hot but, if you think the heater may be heating water beyond that temperature and, hence, causing the pressure in the boiler to rise to a point where the safety/drain valve operates to reduce the pressure, one way to check this would be to run some hot water from the boiler when the valve operates and test that water’s temperature.

Presumably your heater does cease heating water at some point? Otherwise, if the heating phase continued indefinitely, the water would boil and you’d certainly know if that happened! Having used a C-6002EH heater myself for 9 years, my experience is that one can know audibly when the heating process has stopped, so if your heater’s water-heating phase has begun to last significantly longer than previously, it’s likely that there’s a problem.

This 2013 forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Truma-6e-spits-water-out-of-drain-pipr/31424/

discusses a “FrostControl” safety/drain valve (used with a Truma “Combi” heater) that was acting similarly to yours. I don’t think the original poster (andy mccord) provided a follow-up, but I’m guessing that replacing the drain-valve resolved the problem.

Thank you for your reply and the link to the thread which was interesting. My motorhome (and boier) is six years old and this problem first appeared a year ago. The pump is the usual shurflo one which seems tovwork fine as it always has, is not pumping every ten minutes or so to me up the pressure as if therefore a leak.

I replaced the electric drain valve last year which was constantly dripping with the new maual one, this gives the occasional spurt when temperature is reached but the main problem is water dripping from the condense tube and I can see moisture inside that.

I have had slight leak under the floor of my bathroom are which I am trying to locate at the moment. This seems to be associated with the boiler being on so I am wondering if there is overpressure causing that little leak as well as the dripping fro the condensate tube.

I am ging to replace the drain valve and the elbow at theta of the hot outlet ands what happens.

Thanks again, I will report back.

Well I had the same problem on with my truma 6e, I replaced the automatic valve with a new one which has cured it, my problem was when the bolier got to full temp it woud spit out for a second under the van. HTH

Edited to add that I replaced the red one way elbow, this made absoulutely no difference to the spitting out

Regards

Andy

ianj8793 - 2014-11-12 11:02 AM

Thank you for your reply and the link to the thread which was interesting. My motorhome (and boier) is six years old and this problem first appeared a year ago. The pump is the usual shurflo one which seems tovwork fine as it always has, is not pumping every ten minutes or so to me up the pressure as if therefore a leak.

I replaced the electric drain valve last year which was constantly dripping with the new maual one, this gives the occasional spurt when temperature is reached but the main problem is water dripping from the condense tube and I can see moisture inside that.

I have had slight leak under the floor of my bathroom are which I am trying to locate at the moment. This seems to be associated with the boiler being on so I am wondering if there is overpressure causing that little leak as well as the dripping fro the condensate tube.

I am ging to replace the drain valve and the elbow at theta of the hot outlet ands what happens.

Thanks again, I will report back.

I agree with Derek, put the heater into summer hot water mode, set the 'stat to 60, and let it run until it shuts off. Then draw off water until it is coming through at maximum temperature, and run about a pint into something like a plastic measuring jug that won't take too much heat from the water, and immediately stick a thermometer into it and see what temperature it is actually reaching. It is just possible that the excess pressure you seem to be experiencing may be due to excessive water temperature.

Otherwise, if the temperature is about right, it seems the overpressure safety valve cannot be working as intended, and should probably be replaced as suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, an update with information that might be of use to others.

I have replaced the frost control valve Truma part no 34020-80200. This is a non electric one that supersedes the previous electrical one which is no longer available.

I have replaced the hot water outlet elbow which incorporates a non return air valve Truma part no 34150-01. This if now red in colour slightly different to the old grey one and the tube connection to the condensate/air intake tube is at a right angle as opposed to the original straight up position. This makes difference when fitting.

Both items were purchased from Miriad Products, 01283 586060. total of £66.24 inc VAT and post and arrived the next day. (Order before 10.30)

Have fired up the system to full operating temperature and so far no leaks and the issue appears solved. I think that as was suggested the condensate/air intake valve was stuck open and there was also slight leak from the body of the old frost control valve which I could not see till I removed it.

I have turned everything off now to allow a cool down overnight and I will fire up again in the morning. if I don't post again on this subject it can be assumed all is well.

Thanks for the previous replies.

I understand from your earlier posting of 12 November 2014 11:02 AM that the FrostControl drain-valve you’ve just fitted replaces a similar valve installed last year. I think Truma’s warranty for spare parts is 24 months, so you might consider making an under-warranty claim for the original valve.

If (as always seemed likely) the original valve was letting water through at too low a pressure, rather than because the water in the system was getting too hot, Truma MIGHT provide a replacement if you ask nicely. Even if Truma wouldn’t refund the cost of your latest valve, at least you’d then have a spare.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a courtesy update,

I replaced the frost control valve which turned out to be 18 months old, I also replaced the hot water outlet one way valve. This has cured the problems, all now working fine and no leaks from either. Not a difficult job and DIY was much cheaper than taking it to a dealer. The hot water outlet was about £6.50 and the frost control about £45.00. Both were from Miriad products who were helpful on the phone and delivery was next day.

Archived