Dartford Crossing users BEWARE!!

Bulletguy

Guest Had Enough
Keithl - 2014-12-11 2:42 PM

And according to this editorial article it appears they still got it wrong...

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/Travel-and-Sites/Confusion-as-Dart-charges-hit-wrong-target/_ch1_nw3686_pg1

To be fair it's a new system and, as with all new systems, there may well be teething troubles. I judge a company on how it responds to mistakes, not on how it makes them. No one is infallible.

In this case they appear to have reacted quickly to put things right. I've opened an account and put a tenner in so am looking forward to a quicker and easier crossing in February.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
Rayjsj - 2014-12-11 3:29 PM

Keith T - 2014-11-16 4:28 PM

Surely, you will stop somewhere in UK before going across the channel, so I would think you call from you mobile whilst still in UK....??

Fortunately having moved from SE to SW UK, it's highly unlikely that I would ever use that part of M25l- and will just ensure when touring we don't go anywhere near there, or at least avoid crossing the Thames there!

Me too, also I avoid the M6 Toll like Ebola. Hope the Companies that run them go bankrupt. Ray

The Dartford crossings themselves were paid for years ago, as for the M6 Toll !! PFI Conmen.

How you must hate France.

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-11-10 4:44 PM

That's why the new debt collection agency that's being set up has the power to ultimately confiscate vehicles.

*-)

Dear Huff 'n Puff

How can a British Authority give anyone authority to confiscate foreign vehicles in a foreign country?

If it was as simple as that there would not have been hundreds of millions of pounds in congestion charge fines written off.

is it not about time people in England and Wales starting objecting to the tolls they are being forced to pay. The Dartford crossing is part of the major road network and I would imagine costs a much to maintain as the Liverpool / Manchester crossing on the M6. Alternatively do as they are doing in other countries and have a motorway toll for all users. Maybe people should ask UKIP if they would abolish all tolls?

Living in the Midlands I have always used the Dartford crossing on my way to Dover. As of my next trip to France in a few days time I'll turn right onto the M25 heading anti clockwise instead of left & clockwise avoiding Dartford Crossing altogether. ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-11-14 11:36 PM

maggyd - 2014-11-14 6:21 PM

Had Enough - 2014-11-10 4:31 PM

maggyd - 2014-11-10 3:28 PM

I was just looking at the charges, the cheapest prepay is £10 I think !! so the phone will be my way of paying so the first one to do PLEASE post and tell us how it is done, does it come off your phone or do you have to give card details over your mobile? which I'm not crazy about doing.

Actually, your post has prompted me to sign up and I'm signing up because it's only £10.00!

I'll only use the crossing two or three times a year, which is four or six tolls, but there's no expiry date on the credit so I can't see that having a tenner tied up is a big problem.

The sheer convenience of not having to pay by mobile phone or forgetting and risking a fine has to be worth it.

Registration was incredibly easy and I paid by credit card. You can have more than one vehicle on your account as well.

https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

Only £10 ?? well that is expensive if you are only crossing once a year !! isn't it??

Er, no! If you only go to Europe once a year then presumably you'll use the Dartford Crossing twice. Your £10 doesn't expire, so for next year you'll use the other half of your tenner.

You're losing the interest on a few quid for a year, but even if you never use it in the first year the typical bank interest on £10 would be 20p a year. If you're worried about having a tenner tied up somewhere and losing 20p interest, then I think that you have a bit of a problem!

And of course if you sign up you no longer have to pay by phone so you save the cost of phone calls.

For the ease of having to do nothing but drive over the crossing and let the company knock a fiver of my account I'm not really bothered about giving them the loan of a tenner.

If you however, object to giving them the loan of a tenner and are happy to have to make two phone calls to pay for each trip separately then good luck to you. I know what I think is the more sensible method.

(lol) Ha !! when you get to our age you don't count on being here next year never mind crossing the channel .

Spadge - 2014-12-11 8:47 PM

Living in the Midlands I have always used the Dartford crossing on my way to Dover. As of my next trip to France in a few days time I'll turn right onto the M25 heading anti clockwise instead of left & clockwise avoiding Dartford Crossing altogether. ;-)

I doubt you will do that more than once !

You really must be out of your mind to want to creep along past the M40 the M4 and the M3 plus Heathrow traffic and when you get to the M23 there will be Gatwick traffic not knowing which lane to move into then of course its usual that you may find yourself queuing for the M26 and having negotiated all that you may be lucky and have a straight run to the M20. AND NOW ... you're back where you would have been having wasted 3 hours and 10 times the cost of the crossing on fuel.

And don't forget its this time of the year again when the world and his mother will all be doing the same thing. The easiest passage is to drive through the crossing at night and park south of the river.

Will

I'm also from the Midlands and use the M40 route whenever heading for Dover. It's way better than the M1 and less cluttered. I even look forward to driving it which i certainly couldn't say for the M1!

Will85 - 2014-12-12 9:23 AM

I doubt you will do that more than once !

You really must be out of your mind to want to creep along past the M40 the M4 and the M3 plus Heathrow traffic and when you get to the M23 there will be Gatwick traffic not knowing which lane to move into then of course its usual that you may find yourself queuing for the M26 and having negotiated all that you may be lucky and have a straight run to the M20. AND NOW ... you're back where you would have been having wasted 3 hours and 10 times the cost of the crossing on fuel.

And don't forget its this time of the year again when the world and his mother will all be doing the same thing. The easiest passage is to drive through the crossing at night and park south of the river.

Will

Turning left around the M25 from the M40 to get to Folkstone or Dover is 15 miles (nearly 15%) further than turning right.

I try to make my journey to Dover on a Saturday when the traffic is presumably lighter and unless there have been roadworks or an accident to hold me up I've always found it to be a reasonably trouble free journey. Drivers seem to settle into lane to get through the variable speed sections well enough.

I suppose it might be more attractive to turn left if you come down the M1.

tonyishuk - 2014-12-13 7:37 PM

Probably a silly question but I have two cars,

so do I have to register each at £10 each

or £10 because they are resident at the same address ?

Rgds

You have to register 2 cars as it goes on registration.

Our experience of late to be fair is favourable, registered on line, sailed straight through and it costs £1.67 for Van & Aframe. Coming back, had to slow down and go through gate but opened almost instantly and I presume scanned the number plates and charged it.

So far so good

Mike

Archived