paint

tazdog6007

did a bit of minor damage to g.r.p on my m/h (sob!) and found a local body repair business that can do it.when asking about matching the paint color,he said we use a computer mouse on the body that tells us what to use.i know that things are high tech these days but is he giving me a load of b*****ks,or what! 8-)

....it's not the same computer mouse as you use to move your cursor on the screen ;-)

Yes, it is possible to electronically scan a particular colour on a vehicle, and software on a computer will then specify how to mix that exact colour.

If you get a repairer who can do this properly, it is better than going by a manufacturer's vehicle paint code, as it will correct for any level of weathering/fading that has occurred. i.e. it matches the vehicle asis, not the state of the paint when it left the factory.

The 'gizmo' is  called a spectrophotometer or photo spectrometer.  They have various applications from colour matching to screen calibration for colour critical screen/monitor displays etc.  In the 'automotive refinishing' trade it is used to analyse the colour and give the operator a 'recipie' for mixing the matching colour.

Why are they painting it?. You can use Flowcoat Gelcoat that can be matched to the original gel coat. If a boat is painted over the gel, it knocks thousands of pounds off the value.

The original posting mentions “...matching the paint color...”, so perhaps the damaged GRP was painted to begin with. That was the case with my Hobby motorhome - all the grp mouldings were painted and, if damaged, would have needed repainting after the necessary repairs had been made.

The motorhome involved is (I believe) a 2012 Auto-Trail Tracker.

Archived