Compact home for full-timing?

rob_in

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-11-11 3:55 PM

Robinhood - 2014-11-11 3:12 PM

...on the same 'van as Frank's late-departed one, our two E-bikes are strapped to the rear wall (which has fixing rails top and bottom) with strong bungees.

I do turn the handlebars 90 degrees before loading, and they are kept apart (removing risk of paintwork damage) by attaching each end of an old Fiamma bike block to the respective seat stays.

Like Brian, I have fitted removable pedals (though a different design) which means the first bike can go flush to the rear wall (padded with pipe insulation at the few points it makes contact).

I use the ramps to chock that bike from sideways movement whilst travelling.

This leaves ample space for chairs, table, silver screens, BBQ and charcoal, fresh and waste water carriers, and three large stacked "really useful" boxes stuffed with walking boots, bike stuff, and all the little "spares" I carry for every eventuality.

Since the garage has a bit of a "lip", it takes a little effort to remove the bikes (and I have to remove the boxes to do so - but this is easy). The upside is that they are clean and secure.

I could get considerably more in the garage, but I'm wary of the weight.

I found it a bit of a pain. We strap two recliners to the back wall and I found that putting bikes in the garage was a struggle, which usually involved moving others stuff. Perhaps we carry more in our garage than others? We have a barbeque and plastic boxes with food and drink, plus a table and windbreak etc.

LIDL are europe wide Frank?!?! (lol)

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-11-12 12:37 PM

LIDL are europe wide Frank?!?! (lol)

Lidl may be OK for the likes of you Eddie, but my problem is that Fortnum and Mason's home delivery service doesn't extend to Europe, so we have to stock up before going.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the advice. There were some good leads here :)

I'm coming around to the conclusion that we should stick with an integrated model as it will have a slightly 'larger' (it's all relative) feel in the lounge and should be warmer in winter.

We have the Knaus Van-i 550MD, Hymer Exsis-i 414 & 504 as the main contenders. All are winterised as standard. The cost is a little higher than a semi-integrated but I hope these vehicles would also hold their value well so over the length of our use shouldn't be an issue. I am optimistic that a discounted new or late second hand model is within our reach.

I will try and come back with an update when a deal is done! :D

Archived