Power for LCD TV

Stuart

Guest Stuart
We recently treated ourself to a LCD TV. We previously did not have a 12V TV. According to the manual it runs on 12V and 3amps (although the transformer supplied says 5 amps). We get a lovely picture if we run off the mains and go through the transformer; likewise if I plug the transformer into the inverter. However if I use the 12V socket (the one next to the aerial socket), I very briefly get a picture but this then disappears and all I get is the sound. I thought that it may be happening because the batteries are a bit low, but I tried using the engine battery after running the engine and had the same result. Any ideas?

Guest PeteL
Stuart, Your LCD TV almost certainly needs exactly 12v with a small margin of error either side. Your 12v socket is not 12v! If you have an inverter, just use that. You may permanently damage your unit otherwise. There have been many post about this in the past. Pete

Guest Dave Tester
If you want to run voltage sensitive equipment from the leasure or vehicle battery you need a voltage regulator, this will supply exactly 12v and unlike an inverter it will be very energy efficient. For details of available units e-mail; sales@crowelectro.co.uk or write to them at Crow Electro Ltd, 9A Connors Yard, Crowborough Hill, Crowborough, East Sussex. TN6 2DA Regards Dave Tester

Guest PeteC
We just plug into the 230V socket & run off mains If we dont have a hook up we dont use TV Anywy We can only get foreign stations when we are away Can understand the weather in all countries & news in most Have learned to count and a bit of the language in Portugese and Nederlander playing their versions of 'Price is Right'

Archived