Control panel not working

hallii

I did a seach but found nothing.

My meter on the control panel has stopped working. The needle is in the centre and seems stuck ther. I have tried a good thump but it's still sitting right in the middle.

I will take the thing off and have a look, I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem?

Is the panel made by Schaudt? It's a Hymer 522 Van 2007.

The panel has one meter and push buttons for hab battery voltage, engine battery, waste and fresh water.

H

Not familiar with that panel a photo would help.

I take it that it is a centre zero analogue meter, swinging negative on discharge and positive on charge?

Are all the electrics working normally in the van? If so we can probably assume it is just the meter or circuit driving the meter that is faulty.

If that is the case either the meter is not seeing any volts or the meter coil is open circuit. You can do a crude check on the meter, disconnect the meter measure the coil resistance using a multimeter set to ohms, you should see the resistance of the meter coil, also the voltage from the multimeter should make the pointer flick up.

OK Lenny and sshortcircuit, I will try and post a pic, I always have troable with thsi for some reason.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x306/twoandaquarter/IMG_1579_zps12811e78.jpg

Ahha! I did it. All the van electrics are OK, the backlight on the panel works but not the meter.

I hope Lenny is right and it's just the meter, I can test that and check the voltages in from the various sensors etc. I can probably get a meter of the right resistance then I would need to swap the plastic bit with the markings on over. I have tried that in the past and usually break something pulling the needle off.

Screws out tommorrow and I will do some checks.

H

...you could always talk to these guys about the availability of spares, or a repair or replacement.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk

They tend to be able to fix most things "Schaudt", and I notice they have a very similar Burstner branded panel on eBay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schaudt-Elektroblock-IT96-Burstner-control-Panel-from-A-N-Caravan-Services-/221602381475?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item339887fea3

The meter is normally when not working at zero so the needle is probably stuck as the needle has been dislodged from its bearings. I assume that the needle does not move when you select the meter readings Voltage, water etc.

Our van 572 has the same display so I would like to know how you resolve the problem.

Thanks

So, I took the complete panel off and tested the voltages, there is voltage present at the meter inputs so I took the meter out and sat at my desk and started dismantling it.

I have read somewhere that spiders web is stronger than steel weight for weight. Well, I now believe it!

I found a strand of cobweb so fine I couldn't see it, was holding the needle in the central position.

A quick clean and a reinstall and all is well. I am a happy bunny, just saved £190.

I do like saving money :-)

H

Archived