Help wanted

kelly58

We are due to take early retirement in December and it is our wish to buy a motorcaravan so we can spend our retirement seeking out all those places we have not had time to in the past and also as our son lives in the French Alps we can combine european touring with visiting him. As we will be new to motorcaravaning we will need all the advice you "professionals" can offer us. We will be able to purchase a vehicle for around £20,000

Left hand drive is not a problem as mine is a left hooker. It will also be better if driving on the Continent. Make sure you have a good look arouind first to find the layout/engine Etc that suits you, as it is easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment and make an expensive mistake. Also consider the size as well, low profiles will enable you to get to places that a large overcab will not they look neater and drive better as well, without the wind resistance of the larger van.

If you are planning to do a lot of European touring, I suggest that you look at European built 'vans as they are designed more for self-contained touring, whereas UK 'vans tend to be designed for campsite use with 240 volt hook-up, with minimal travelling. Have you considered hiring before you buy - it may be money well spent. (?)

Don't rush into it! I wanted to buy the first one I liked ;-) but Hubby was/is more cautious. It's a LOT of money to spend. Also consider how long you will be spending in it each journey - and how much bumph you want to carry as you may be restricted by weight/pay load. Do you want a fixed bed so no phaffing about or do you want a pull down bed from above the cab? or will you be happy using the across-'van beds? End bathroom or happy to use on-site fascilities for more space? Remember too that in Europe they dont' tend to have ovens in the 'vans, preferring to cook outside or visit cafes. Here in the UK I look for cookers etc. in the kitchen area. European vans may be 'winterised' - so that waste and fresh water tanks are less likely to freeze. There is a garage in Bletchley that imports left hand drive 'vans from the Continent [Italy I think] ........ Buy good magazines too - you'll get info from the letters pages as well as write-ups on models, both new and used [2nd hand]. Where do you live now? Visit dealerships and get an idea of the types of 'van availalbe - you'll be amazed! :-D It's great fun but go with an open mind! Check list is also handy: where is the leisure battery situated and does it need topping up? In used vans you'll see smoke alarms, ether alarms are becoming essential on the Continent following a spate of robberies! We've been looking for 18 months ....... *-)

Thanks for the replys we live near spalding in south lincs I bought MMM Which Motorcaravan and Out and About last weekend and having read through the it seems there`s a minefeld of choice to search through.We are hoping to visit a dealers near Ramsey this weekend its a toss up do we push the boat out and buy new or buy good s/hand or buy private.we have plenty of time we hope to buy in spring 2007 its a pity we missed the york show but there are other shows coming along.We just want a comfortable fuel efficient van that we hope to get a lot of pleasure from. everyone should join CASH Campaign Against Squashing Hedgehogs

Kelly I assume you know about the 'Big' dealership at Newark (A1/A46 junction)? Worth a rummage around their vans - don't be tempted to buy though, not until you've done your research on what you want. Mel B CASH - we used to actively DO this!!! We had a Bond minicar (3 wheeler), and they were often known as hedgehog squashers ... the little hedgehog would tootle into the road, see headlights coming and just sit there waiting for the car wheels to pass by on either side ... but then along came 3 wheeler and .... well I think you get the picture! We actually had a game where we used to try to squash as many hedgehogs as we could whilst going round a course (we used old plastic coffee filters as pretend hedgehogs ... we weren't THAT cruel!). Our current Microcar Club logo (www.micromaniacs.co.uk) is of a microcar crossed with a hedgehog!

Hubby and I went to Wells Bridge at Ramsey recently; lots of choice, no pressure, advice and suggestions availalbe when you want it. Good Luck! I saw the van I want there but hubby told me it's too long ;-) They also do maintenance and probably storage too.

Archived