Help required - Ducato LWB turning circle

Relayredgoingpink

Hello all, I wonder if someone could help me? I live at the end of a narrow lane and can currently just about turn round my 2004 Citroen Relay LWB. The thing is, I'm looking to upgrade to a new Ducato LWB based van and I notice that the wheel base has increased from 3.7 to 4.0M. As it would be a major headache if I couldn't turn the new van, I was wondering if anyone out there near to Chester might fancy their chances giving it a go in a 4.0m wheelbase Ducato or similar? I would gladly pay any expenses. I have looked to hire a van to give it a go, but can't find any! Many thanks!

Welcome to the madhouse!

We used to have a lwb Alko chassied van with a wb of about 4.0 mtrs and it was areal handful at times as it could easily make me look even more stupid that I am when trying to turn it in a confined space.

We had the same dilema of access when we bought it but the dealer allowed us to take it home to try it having paid a deposit with the promise of a refund if it did not fit. Fortunately it did - eventually!

So why not level with the dealers and make any sale conditional upon being able to get it in and out and ask them to either bring an lwb van out to your place for their driver to try or let you borrow one for you to try?

The turning circle betwen walls quoted by Brian can give a basis to compare vehicles but the between walls figures will depend on the body fitted and is influenced by overall width and front and rear overhang, While front overhang is a constant for PCV and standard cab vehicles on the same chassis even that can vary if its an A class. By and large the lock on FWD vehicles is to some extent restricted by the Constant Velocity joint where FWD is less compromsed in this respect and has a little better lock.

When we last changed our motorhome I thought it would be impossible to get it up our curved drive so we went to a great deal of trouble and expense to remove one of the front lawns and replace it with granet chips all layed on a suitable base to take the load only to find that we could just manage using the existing drive. Looking on the bright side it did at least result one less lawn to cut. It may be worth considering the possibility of a bit of landscaping if practical to solve the problem.

Archived