Discoloured window frames

the crumblies

Hi all, long time no see. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice how so many mcv plastic windowframes get very discoloured by uv exposure, ie sunlight? My van is seven years old now: when new, the frames were as white as the bodywork, now they are a nasty beige colour. The Fiamma awning endcaps are even worse; I had to replace one last year and it makes all the other bits look dirty. This problem seems to apply to all the doors and locker covers. The worst bits are the mains socket covers, the least affected are the Dometic fridge vents. I assume they are made of abs, not really suited to uv exposure, while all the plastic bits on the house are upvc and seem to be completely unaffected.

I haven't found any effective cleaning method, so I was thinking of painting them, using something really tough like smooth Hammerite. Any suggestions from the vast pool of knowledge out there? ;-) I look forward to your advice!

Very small pieces of simple shaped white plastic can be 'shaved' to remove the surface colour such as unwanted marker pen details on my white USP inserts, but I see no answer to your window frames.

I recently spayed the ends of a cream coloured awning cover which has lasted 12 months of weather, it was a standard Halfords spray can.

PS they needed no key, being quite roughed up from scraping bushes.

Yeah, tell me about the hedgerow scratches! Many years ago in Greece I met an old Californian guy, very well travelled and very pragmatic. I was surveying some minor damage to our plastic windows, and he said "Son, if you don't have scratches down both sides of your RV, you ain't bin anywhere!" So, I regard them as a badge of honour now!

Thanks for your helpful comments. I'm going to paint a sample piece, facing the sun, and see how it survives. They are slightly textured, so we should get a good key. I'm not sure if my hand is steady enough, may have to use masking tape.

I used to say "Adventure before Dementia, but I guess it's too late.,

I have used PlastiKote white satin super enamel with great results, Did it two years ago and still look good and the same as the day I painted. I did not use any plastic primer but did clean with alcohol ( you can use meths).

The satin finish means they still look like original parts and not painted and I only used a thin coat.

Before painting them, IMHO, it is worthwhile trying Autoglym Machine and Engine degreaser sprayed on neat and left for a few minutes whilst keeping moist with further sprays of the liquid. I found this to work on most plastic bits though sometimes two applications were necessary. When I did it the first time I panicked as I thought it was melting the plastic but it wasn't it was just removing the layer of discolouration and it was running off brown! Slosh with plain water after use to remove any remaining spray, it doesn't seem to affect the paintwork by the way, I have used it neat to remove the dreaded black streaks as well.

One plastic locker door frame would not respond even to the Autoglym but a neighbour who was passing and happens to own a window manufacturing company loaned me some substance that they use on windows, it certainly worked but you had to work quickly as the surface of the plastic quickly became tacky, so that may be worth a try if the Autoglym fails with your windows, asking a local friendly window installer/ manufacturer if they have anything that may help.

Bas

• 3 weeks later...

Archived