Hobby Siesta T65 GE wiring, any ideas?

mikejkay

Still exploring my new m.h.and I have discovered two small diameter wires, one blue and one black, terminating in a small female socket lurking underneath the left side of the passenger seat Anybody able to help by identifying these wires? Would be fantastic if they were foe a rear view camera! The Hobby is 2014 reg but was probably built in 2013, my 2011 Chausson did not have these wires.

Hi Mike, I have a new Siesta T65 HFL and, although I had the reversing camera fitted when I bought it, I understand from the specification that the vehicle was pre-wired for it to be installed. So the chances are that this is what it's for but it might be best to contact the vehicle supplier to be sure. Best of luck!

I'm really not sure Mike but I've just had a look and the wiring doesn't go near any of the seats but runs from the rear view mirror along the top of the windscreen and is then routed, but hidden, along the offside of the vehicle. Also had a look at the Hobby brochure where is states 'Installation preparation for reversing camera' so not exactly sure what that means. I'm sure there is someone in Hobby that would know for definite.

Mike,

Yellow wiring connectors and sleeving usually signify air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner wiring. This wire is possibly for the second seat belt buckle switch on a dual seat to detect occupant presence.

Do NOT fiddle with this wiring in any way as you are likely to set a fault which will require a dealer to reset.

Keith.

After further grovelling I have discovered an identical "flying" socket underneath the drivers seat so this eliminates the possibility that the socket is one end of cabling for a reversing camera, But B-) I also discovered a slightly larger brown "flying" socket underneath the drivers seat. Any ideas........... anyone?

Why don't m.h. manufacturers provide wiring diagrams for their vehicles >:-(

Given where the sockets are, it’s a fair bet that they would provide power to the seat-heaters that are a Ducato option.

Seat-heaters are likely to be rare in motorhomes as - due to the wiring requirements - there’s a basic incompatibilty betwen them and the swivelling cab seats that are so common nowadays.

Mike,

You said earlier they went to a Yellow connector, correct?

Do they also have yellow sleeving on them?

If so, as I said earlier, they are air bag wiring and you are best advised to leave them alone.

Google "what colour is air bag wiring" and you should see what I mean.

Keith.

Keithl - 2014-11-16 7:58 PM

Mike,

You said earlier they went to a Yellow connector, correct?

Do they also have yellow sleeving on them?

If so, as I said earlier, they are air bag wiring and you are best advised to leave them alone.

Google "what colour is air bag wiring" and you should see what I mean.

Keith.

The actual wires are blue and black/dark brown. The are not sleeved and terminate in a white two pin female socket which has a securing latch. The two wires originate fro a yellow plastic box, about the size of a fat matchbox, which is clipped to the frame of the seat. I shall certainly leave well alone until I find out with a reasonable degree of certainty what they are! I have been in touch with Hobby and hope that they can shed some light.

Pampam - 2014-11-16 10:20 PM

May i ask do you like your hobby siesta ,and are they under 3.5 ton or over and am i right in thinking they can be got on a transit base ?cheers pp:) and do you know whats the difference in the gf gl and fhl (the letters at the end ) pp:)

Best look on the Hobby website for layouts, you can download a PDF brochure and you can still find the 2014 and 2013 brochures. The GE is twin longitudinal beds over a garage. There's plenty of room for me and I'm 6ft 1 1/2 in. The beds are differents sizes but the smaller one is 6ft.

I changed from Chausson to Hobby partly because I was becoming a bit disenchanted with the quality of the Chausson (Flash S2). The main reason though was that my accomodation requirements changed. I am pleased with the quality of the Hobby. Unseen things like the double floor and alloy skirt are an improvement. The way in which the cab moulding fitted the body was being to irritate, it had become "unstuck" and although I cut out the fillet of mastic and refilled with Sikaflex it had started to pull apart again.

A disadvantage that is becoming clearer is that, despite being 1m shorter, the S2 had more stowage and access to the habitation battery was much easier. The underbed stowage in the S2 is truly cavernous, at least eight illegals worth :D .

Pampam - 2014-11-16 10:20 PM

May i ask do you like your hobby siesta ,and are they under 3.5 ton or over and am i right in thinking they can be got on a transit base ?cheers pp:) and do you know whats the difference in the gf gl and fhl (the letters at the end ) pp:)

Hobby’s lettering system usually makes some sort of sense layout-wise. These are designators that I’m aware of

AK- Alcove (overcab sleeping capability)

C -Couch

E - Single beds

F - French bed

G - Garage

H - Drop-down roof bed

K - Child beds

L - L-seating group

M - Middle seating group

Q - Island bed

S - Side seating group

W - Washing area

So a “GF" model should have a garage and french bed, a “GL" a garage and L-shaped seating-group. and an “HFL” a drop-down roof bed, a french bed and an L-shaped seating group.

Hobby no longer builds on a Ford, though Chausson offers the choice on some of their motorhome models of either a Fiat Ducato or Ford Transit base.

globebuster - 2014-11-17 4:38 PM

Off subject, but as an existing S2 owner - can you clarify what you mean by the 'detaching of the cab moulding from the body'....

Do you mean the overcab GRP pod detaching from the actual Fiat cab ?

I don't have a problem.....at the moment

Behind the FIAT cab there is a moulding that attaches to the body of the vcan. The rear edge of this moulding is sealed/attached to the body with a fillet of mastic. I first noticed that I had a problem when I put my hand out and leant against this moulding which flexed badly. On inspection I found that the fillet of mastic had separated from the body, viitually the full height of the side panel. I checked the nearside and the same had occurred but only (!) along about 1.2m lenght.

I removed the mastic fillet and sqeezed Sikaflex into the gap and the remade the fillet. When the Sika had cured the flexing had disappeared :-D . However, the moulding started parting from the body again after about 18 months and the flexing reappeared >:-) .

Not my problem now :D

Thanks for that Mike.

No problems in that or any other area on mine, in fact I'm amazed just how well the bonding process has retained its integrity throughout the build, compared to my previous Dethleffs.

TBH I'm more concerned about the underside of modern vans these days.

Enjoy your new hobby.....

globebuster - 2014-11-17 5:59 PM

Thanks for that Mike.

No problems in that or any other area on mine, in fact I'm amazed just how well the bonding process has retained its integrity throughout the build, compared to my previous Dethleffs.

TBH I'm more concerned about the underside of modern vans these days.

Enjoy your new hobby.....

What I can't understand is why this happened to mine but yours is OK :-|

There was an owner report on a later S2 in MMM a couple of years ago - apparently riddled with faults, including the same detachment of the side mouldings you described, whether the later variants 2011 on, were not so well cobbled together I can't say...

I bought my 2010 van primarily for the layout, I realised it was a budget van, but in fairness I can honestly say the general structure is very good. There's no doubt it lacks some finesse, but the interior fit-out is generally well assembled. Ironically, my previous Dethleffs seemed externally very neat, with attention to detail - but was frankly petty awful inside, in terms of fit and finish.

I have certainly seen many vans perceived as being at the upper end of the market with a high 'bling' factor, but sorely lacking fundamental structural quality.

Maybe I've been lucky?

globebuster - 2014-11-17 10:13 PM

I have certainly seen many vans perceived as being at the upper end of the market with a high 'bling' factor, but sorely lacking fundamental structural quality.

Maybe I've been lucky?

It is fairly clear to me that the quality of the Hobby is superior to that of the Chausson which, in fairness, is marketed as a budget model. At least the catches are aligned properly. On the Flash the tow parts of the side door retaining catch didn't even touch! The side skirts on the Flash were particularly fragile.

Mike,

I wasn't implying anything - honest! - Hobby are up there for me.

I've had no trouble with catches or alignment, although I have done some 'finessing' along the way.

Bonus points - all GRP/Polyester bodywork, good cab spec, massive w/c......

The motorhomes in question invariably, come from within the uk.

There - I've said it now 8-)

Hope you have lots of good times in the Siesta

Archived