France hook up

qwark

Hello

You should be fine to use your cable, you may need an adapter though.

They are available from most camping shops.

Many of the sites do use the standard EHU cable.

Depending on your van you may need to be aware of the fact that some site hook up have their polarity reversed.

This can be a problem for some older vans I believe.

There are other threads on here with lots of detail, if I can find one I will post it.

Hope this is helpful

qwark - 2014-11-15 12:17 PM

Thanks everybody, feel a bit more confident now! The cable in picture spot on, do I understand I may need some sort of adapter for this. I'm a belt and braces man so I like to take anything I might need.

Thanks all

Tom

best to take one of these then, there are still many places this type of socket is in use, although the trend now is to the one we are used to in the UK, and seems to be being widely adopted wherever a new installation is provided, so it may stop in your bits and bobs box depending on where you are.

As for health insurance we find goodtogo is very competitive, especially if you have any conditions to declare..............but do declare everything !

continental-adaptor-euro_sp46767_1.jpg.4506cbd44ef95e65a8dc25ce2f6af1be.jpg

On a thread a few months ago I'm sure someone said that reversed polarity can damage older electrical systems on some vans, that do not have protection built in?

I was unsure of the facts though, which is why I said I believe.

Is that wrong? I'm not sure if I can find the thread I'll post it.

There was along conversation about buying a tester and kit to put the polarity the correct way.

As I suspected, no substance and I would really be interested as to how it can cause damage?

In a healthy electrical circuit reverse polarity presents no dangers unless you wish so stick your fingers where they should not be with power still connected.

If it gives you piece of mind purchase a tester and reversing lead.

Just going to the caravan shop to see if I can get a new mantle for light :-D

qwark - 2014-11-15 8:58 AM

First time abroad , can I use my "British" hook up cable on French Aires and campsites.?

Also any body got any advice on travel insurance for a couple 65 and 64 years of age

Thanks for any help

Tom

Good idea to take a circuit tester with you - available from camping / caravan shops.

Plugs into your socket and warns if there is anything dodgy about the supply - such as reversed polarity or in some cases, no earth.

( If there's no earth I've usually found another nearby hookup that is o.k. ).

;-)

Hi Tom, we use American Express travel insurance, I thought it would be very expensive but far from it. Admittedly we're younger 50 & 45 but you're hardly on death row :D

Think this years premium was £33, no health issues to declare.

Be aware also that quite often you'll find much lower amperage on French sites. They have in my visits, (14 years), increased, but you can still encounter as low as 3 amp.

Martyn

qwark - 2014-11-15 8:58 AM

First time abroad , can I use my "British" hook up cable on French Aires and campsites.?

Also any body got any advice on travel insurance for a couple 65 and 64 years of age

Thanks for any help

Tom

In Europe there may be occasions where 25mtrs is not long enough I take two cables one lighter than the other but the similar length.

I got a good deal on travel insurance from =LV, wife has medical conditions and is 62 years old.

Some gaffer tape came in handy for these French folk. :D

six connections from two outlets ! ! and even then some were sub divided further along the line.

514546887_frenchborne(598x640).jpg.95939d5b338b04d2b6700528d6f97355.jpg

On point to remember in France especially is that the supplied amperage varies a lot - may be as low as 3 or 4 amps, up to sometimes 10amps.

We try to ensure we have low wattage kettles and cookers etc, and even then you may have to make sure you are not running heating or hot water boiler simultaneously .It may blow the fuse where you are plugged into, and it is not always easy to get someone to come a reset this.We usually find the fridge and TV have no adverse effect.

• 3 months later...

Every one talks about the current taken or delivered, but, when you look at labels on electrical equipment it always quotes Watts.

To convert watts of an appliance to the current its takes- Divide 230volts AC by the watts, this will give you the Current taken.

Do an inventry of your appliances when hooked up to ensure you are not exceeding the camp site supply.

An electric kettle of 3000Watts will take 13.04 amps. So you can see why the advice is to use low power appliances.

BrianBW - 2015-02-23 8:35 PM................To convert watts of an appliance to the current its takes- Divide 230volts AC by the watts, this will give you the Current taken.

Do an inventry of your appliances when hooked up to ensure you are not exceeding the camp site supply.

An electric kettle of 3000Watts will take 13.04 amps. So you can see why the advice is to use low power appliances.

Brian, with apologies, you've inverted the first part. Just in case of confusion, 'though it is reasonably clear from your worked example, one should divide the Watts by the Voltage (230 nominally) to get the Amps, and not the other way around.

Over here in France, you don't have to worry about reverse polarity, as both Live and Neutral will be tripped out on their circuit breakers, and it is more likely you'll trip theirs than your own unit in the van. There is no such thing as a ring main over here, only radial cabling, no such thing as a fused plug either, each radial is individually protected by a trip switch.

As I understand it the reason for being concerned about reverse polarity is that unlike Continental electrical devices, which have double pole switches, some older UK stuff is not double insulated and is switched only on the live wire - so if the polarity is reversed there is a risk that the "chassis" of the device could be live and give you a shock. There may also be reasons why some older British-built motorhomes could have their electrical panels or chargers damaged by connecting to an EHU with reverse polarity.

I suspect these risks do not really exist with more modern vehicles and electrical devices but I always check when we're abroad anyway. You do come across some pretty wild-looking EHU set ups, especially on Aires where there is a free connection and everyone is determined to double up (or quadrupal up) and connect to it somehow. Thank goodness for solar panels, which make doing so largely unnecessary!

These days it's usually only the older campsites and a minority of other places where you encounter the two pin "Shuko" plug and the three pin blue connector we are more used to is now more prevalent - but that doesn't mean the polarity will be correct!

qwark - 2014-11-15 12:17 PM

Thanks everybody, feel a bit more confident now! The cable in picture spot on, do I understand I may need some sort of adapter for this. I'm a belt and braces man so I like to take anything I might need.

Thanks all

Tom

Tom, it might be wise to carry one of these too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-ME0412-Continental-Conversion-Lead/dp/B0029OIVQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1424888691&sr=1-1&keywords=French+EHU+adapter

That way, you will be OK, no matter what. be aware that some of their supplies are quite low, 6amps or so. Ray

Archived