Replacing 3 way fridge with 12v compressor fridge

wints

I'm just about to install a 12v compressor fridge in my hymer.

In the fitting instructions it goes on about air gaps above and around the compressor fridge, but in my case I already have the 2 air vents (from the 3 way fridge) in the wall of the van. I'm assuming that this will suffice, and that I can seal around the top, sides, and bottom of the fridge....or else a gale could blow through the existing wall vents.

Anyone done this ? All advice appreciated.

Regards

Allen

You've obviously made your decision to replace the original 3 way fridge for a compressor type and I'm wondering why you want to do it. I can see the valid reason for changing from a compressor to a 3 way fridge as the benefits are far better. I know of owners who have had battery problems whilst wild camping and in one instance an owner fitted 3 leisure batteries. With 3 leisure batteries your going to dig into the available unladen weight and might end up being well over the gross permitted weight when on the open road. The compressor fridge eats leisure batteries.

I too am mystified why anyone would change a 3 way fridge to one that solely relies on a 12 volt supply, probably OK for a day van, but IMO not a thing I'd want to put in a Hymer, or any "grown up" motorhome,. A 3 way if wholly run on gas is about the most robust and trouble free way to go and completely silent in operation, and NO battery worries, and remember batteries are only good for so many cycles of charge / discharge, and you're going to be cycling them a lot............ if you haven't actually done it yet I'd advise you to think about it again.

rolandrat - 2014-11-15 7:31 PM

I know of owners who have had battery problems whilst wild camping and in one instance an owner fitted 3 leisure batteries. With 3 leisure batteries your going to dig into the available unladen weight and might end up being well over the gross permitted weight when on the open road. The compressor fridge eats leisure batteries.

It's a Shoreline Marine fridge, low wattage...less than 2 ah, and I'll switch it off at night and put ice blocks from the freezer into the fridge.

I've got 150 watts solar power on the roof, and a 60 watt panel outside the van. 2 x110amp leisure batteries. The van is 4.6 tonne, I'm nowhere near that.

Allen

Joe90 - 2014-11-15 10:42 PM

I too am mystified why anyone would change a 3 way fridge to one that solely relies on a 12 volt supply, probably OK for a day van, but IMO not a thing I'd want to put in a Hymer, or any "grown up" motorhome,. A 3 way if wholly run on gas is about the most robust and trouble free way to go and completely silent in operation, and NO battery worries, and remember batteries are only good for so many cycles of charge / discharge, and you're going to be cycling them a lot............ if you haven't actually done it yet I'd advise you to think about it again.

I've had problems on gas with the last 2 AES fridges that have been in my vans. The AES had lost a few brain cells, if they were ever there in the 1st place, and talking to Todds & Peter Hambleton they didn't rate them either..lots of probs...control panel....expensive repair.

This fridge (Shoreline Marine) came reasonably priced and I'm giving it a try.

If I could've got an old Electrolux with Peizo ignition, no thermostat just the old 3 position gas pilot flame I would have been a happy lad !

Allen

maggyd - 2014-11-15 8:48 PM

We run our Waeco on 2 batteries and a solar panel no problem, we have no vents on the outside of the van.

If off hook up how long for ?

We rally a lot, min 2 days..possibly up to 5 days..no EHU..I'm hoping the 210 watts of solar power will be ok...

Allen

wints - 2014-11-16 10:13 AM

rolandrat - 2014-11-15 7:31 PM

I know of owners who have had battery problems whilst wild camping and in one instance an owner fitted 3 leisure batteries. With 3 leisure batteries your going to dig into the available unladen weight and might end up being well over the gross permitted weight when on the open road. The compressor fridge eats leisure batteries.

It's a Shoreline Marine fridge, low wattage...less than 2 ah, and I'll switch it off at night and put ice blocks from the freezer into the fridge.

I've got 150 watts solar power on the roof, and a 60 watt panel outside the van. 2 x110amp leisure batteries. The van is 4.6 tonne, I'm nowhere near that.

Allen

As you are located in the Leyland area Leisure Tech at Clitheroe are experts with fridges and carry many spare parts and also have many that have been removed from motorhomes. Nearer to home Paul at Todds knows his stuff and Phill at Rino does as well. When I owned a Hymer the fridge was trouble free.

rolandrat - 2014-11-16 4:11

As you are located in the Leyland area Leisure Tech at Clitheroe are experts with fridges and carry many spare parts and also have many that have been removed from motorhomes. Nearer to home Paul at Todds knows his stuff and Phill at Rino does as well. When I owned a Hymer the fridge was trouble free.

Hi rr,

if you look at my earlier replies I did go to Todds, and to Peter Hambleton's, both weren't suprised at the AES failure. They both thought the repair costs would be un-economical, but they both would supply and fit a new fridge if I asked them to. I think Todds quoted £60/hr, and an estimated time of 5 hrs, PH slightly less /hr but a full day.

The marine fridge cost £120 and I'm installing it.

All the bits relating to the 3 way fridge are still there and are accessible should I decide the experiment has not worked.

What I'd like to do is find an old Electrolux fridge and rob the gas control bits from it, I'd then transplant them onto my 3 way fridge, which works great on 230v & 12v.

regards

Allen

wints - 2014-11-16 5:08 PM

Hi rr,

if you look at my earlier replies I did go to Todds, and to Peter Hambleton's, both weren't suprised at the AES failure. They both thought the repair costs would be un-economical, but they both would supply and fit a new fridge if I asked them to. I think Todds quoted £60/hr, and an estimated time of 5 hrs, PH slightly less /hr but a full day.

All the bits relating to the 3 way fridge are still there and are accessible should I decide the experiment has not worked.

What I'd like to do is find an old Electrolux fridge and rob the gas control bits from it, I'd then transplant them onto my 3 way fridge, which works great on 230v & 12v.

Probably in time when the urgency is off you'll come across the bits you need to put it back in again.

Good luck.

Allen

wints - 2014-11-16 5:08 PM

Hi rr,

Probably in time when the urgency is off you'll come across the bits you need to put it back in again.

Good luck.

wints - 2014-11-16 10:26 AM

maggyd - 2014-11-15 8:48 PM

We run our Waeco on 2 batteries and a solar panel no problem, we have no vents on the outside of the van.

If off hook up how long for ?

We rally a lot, min 2 days..possibly up to 5 days..no EHU..I'm hoping the 210 watts of solar power will be ok...

Allen

We have had 4 days off hook up that is the maximum we stay in one place. I like ours as it is so easy when stopping on route as soon as the engine switches off I just press the button on the control panel I don't have to try lighting the gas while were out, I haven't had any probs; with food defrosting.

Swapped out now, wife performed switch on ceremony, compressor purring (very quietly), could hardly feel it start up ( maybe it's soft start ?).

Just got to replace bits of adjacent cabinets then we're good to go !

Thanks to all who commented.

Allen

Just had the w/e at Pleasurelands Southport. Plenty of blown air heating, and sat tv, and we / the leisure batteries survived !

The fridge is very quiet, I had to put my ear to the door to confirm it was on or off.

regards

Allen

Archived