disappointing dealers

Lizzie

Re Marquis Warranty

To get that full/£1000/£500 warranty you must have a habitation/damp check done before the end of the 1/2/3 year period, so Marquis 3year warranty documentation needs to be read and understood.

But at least you can have any Qualified Caravan/motor-home engineer do the checks providing it is fully documented. Though if Marquis do do it and there is a problem found at least you are already there!!

fredric

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also lizzie dont forget the VAT which is a big hit in the wallet especially if you decide to trade in early (my mistake) id buy nearly new , and save the tax towards any future repairs etc or hols :its a great hobby ,and i miss it like heck (my van i mean) pp:)

I love it when you go to a dealer and all the vans are open and you can make yourself at home and have a good poke around undisturbed.

But .. I'd never buy from a dealer where all the vans are left open and people have been making themselves at home and having a good poke around.

Therein lies the problem.

AndyB - 2014-11-15 9:14 PM

Hi Lizzie,

We bought both our first and current motorhome from Southern motorhomes and get on really well with everybody who works there.

Being able to store our motorhome there is great and their onsite workshop is very good.

Andy

Hi Andy how far do you live from Southern Motorhomes? It would take us about an hour to get there but we are considering storing the van there as an option. Although my husband thinks it may be too far and that we would not use the motorhome as often if it proved a pain. I am more optimistic! I haven't looked into it in great detail though - can you leave your car there when you pick up the motorhome? Also, can you come and go at any reasonable hour or is it only during opening hours?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think it may take longer than I had initially envisaged but am a little more sanguine about it today.

Hi Lizzie

Don't know if I'm allowed to say "welcome" as I only look in here every blue moon nowadays - spending most of my "online" time elsewhere.

Just thought I'd comment on the "new/used" dilemma.

We bought "Roxie" new, 6 years ago now, because (for once!) we could, courtesy of my late uncle.

You certainly take a depreciation hit, but the advantage for us was being able to specify exactly what we wanted, and not what we didn't. And since we knew we'd be keeping her for a good few years, we were willing to grin and bear the depreciation - especially since it was a legacy we were spending, rather than the hard-earned stuff!

We've no regrets at all, but we'll never be in a position to do that again.

Whatever your decision, don't be too carried away by the financial side - NONE of us buy a motorhome for financial reasons, it doesn't make economic sense in these days of cheap air travel etc. It's about enjoying yourself, so make sure you do that during the "shopping" phase as well as the "using" phase.

BtW, hello everyone, how are you all getting on here on the Dark Side?

We live in West Drayton, so can either drive to Taplow in about 20 minutes using the M4 or get the train there in 15 minutes.

Please note Southern Motorhomes only store vehicles purchased from there and access to the pound is restricted to their opening hours.

I can't speak highly enough about everybody that works there,(including Hector),the sales and aftercare has been brilliant and look forward to purchasing another new motorhome from them in a couple of years now that they have an Adria franchise.

Good Luck Andy

Tony Jones - 2014-11-16 6:23 PM

BtW, hello everyone, how are you all getting on here on the Dark Side?

Welcome back from the boring sanitised side Tony!

It's not dark here any more Tony - apart from the odd passing black cloud or bout of gloom - as it is now almost all sweetness and light.

Why not try ia proper forum again more often!

Read your own signature again Richard!

The Other Side is taking off again since Haymarket gave the site a revamp - and of course we're on telly these days too! Come over and say hello sometime.

But if you've really got rid of all the trolls off here I might look in a bit more often again.

Apologies to Lizzie (especially since she's a newcomer) for hijacking her thread with stuff that probably means nothing to her.

Lizzie - 2014-11-16 5:07 PM

... It would take us about an hour to get there but we are considering storing the van there as an option. Although my husband thinks it may be too far and that we would not use the motorhome as often if it proved a pain...

Hi Lizzie

Personally, I'd agree with your husband, anything stored away from home can become a pain to access, let alone a MH that's an *hour away...As he says, you would end up just not using it as often as you could...

(* a two hour round trip, if you wanted to bring it home the night before, to load, set-up, and fettle with, would be a non-starter for most...and it would certainly put the dampeners on any impromptu getaways..)

I'd find somewhere a lot closer, failing that, choose a van that can be stored comfortably at home... :-)

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-11-18 8:47 PM

Good to see you posting again Tony, might return ourselves on a more regular basis if someone has "had enough" of posting on here. Now on facts, as Jean 15, and finding so much better without the agro.

That post has once more proved what I've already said about you on a number of occasions, that underneath this Mr Nice Guy persona that you adopt, you are actually one of the most snide and nasty little men on this forum.

Some time ago I proved to you that your constant bleating about aires in the UK was unintelligent and unthinking tripe and, since then, like some woman scorned, you've taken every opportunity to have a snide little dig.

During the last few weeks I've not been involved in any rows and whilst there's been the usual skirmishes I've kept out of them. So why have you felt the need to stir the pot and try to cause an argument by posting this bit of vitriol?

It really is time that you got over it, accept that transferring your silly aires fixation to the UK is utter nonsense and move on?

But for the sake of everyone else, stop the trouble-making and sly little digs at me, they do you no credit.

Now, if you don't like it, sod off to Facts or wherever else you can bore then pants of everyone with your constant proselytising about flipping aires.

Apologies to other members, but I'm sick to death of this sad little idiot's constant needling.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-11-18 9:14 PM

Now, if you don't like it, sod off to Facts or wherever else you can bore then pants of everyone with your constant proselytising about flipping aires.

Apologies to other members, but I'm sick to death of this sad little idiot's constant needling.

At least R&J can sod off to another moho forum...............unlike yourself Frank (lol) .................

...Apologies to other members, but I'm sick to death of this sad little idiot's constant needling.

Funny thing, Frank, that’s exactly what I was thinking about you!

It beats me why someone who will be 70 next year, is clearly literate and intelligent, has been a very successful businessman and a prominent Mason, has chosen to plague the Warners ‘leisure’ forums continuously under a variety of personae since the forums’ inception.

You are very rarely helpful when people seek advice and constant verbal confrontation can’t be much of a challenge for someone with your background and abilities. Can’t you think of anything more productive to do?

Guest Had Enough
Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-19 8:07 AM

...Apologies to other members, but I'm sick to death of this sad little idiot's constant needling.

You are very rarely helpful when people seek advice

You've clearly not been reading all my posts then. I often give advice where I can and these days tend to only enter threads that have an interest to me and in which I can offer advice. Lately I've offered advice on satellite TV and there are many other examples should you wish to use the search facility that you're so good at.

I never never threads of a political nature any more and, unlike others, am not constantly shoving my party political views or my motorhome of choice in everyone's faces.

In the last few weeks I find myself posting less and less as the more one is on here the more one has read the usual constant threads about all the usual subjects, but I still like this forum as it's compact and simpler than some of the others.

I just find it irritating that when I'm clearly trying to keep out of the many skirmishes that still happen and when I'm actually making an effort to avoid them that one or two people still insist on stirring the post as in RobertandJean's example above.

I'm sorry that you too have chosen to post as you have. Considering my limited and non-controversial input over the last few weeks you're the last person that I would have expected to post in this manner.

I'm also very sorry that you think fit to reveal details of my personal life, which are nothing to do with you or with this forum and as you seem to have been doing a lot of research on me I could also ask if you have nothing better to do.

Finally, all I want to do on here these days is offer advice when I can and seek it it when I can. Perhaps I'm finally maturing! I just wish that a small number of people, who clearly don't like me as much as I can't stand them, could stop the continuing vendetta based on nothing more than a spat or two, months or even years ago.

Regrettably, because of R&J's nasty little prod and your intervention I can see another thread being turned into a slanging match.

Edited to say: I've just done a search using just my name. You should do it and you'll find all the non-controversial threads in which I've offered advice. Your statement that I seldom offer advice is untrue and unworthy of you.

Muswell - 2014-11-19 8:34 AM

One gratuitous prod and the Punch and Judy show is underway.

Yep, exactly..and where HE is involved, due to his.. *cough*.. "full on" style, it's rarely the "prodders" that get noticed.... :-S

It'd be interesting to see how some of the more "restrained" forum members would react if they were prodded and poked and derided in threads and subsections that they weren't even in..?

(..or what their demeanour would be, if they had fellow forumites join another MH forum, primarily it seems, so they could tell members on there, that they didn't like "Fwankie" either..? *-) )

Of cause, there is a degree of a "the chicken or the egg?" situation (ie If HE didn't "bite", would he still get the prods? )but still...there seems little point in folk on here constantly lighting blue touch papers...and then playing all innocent when fireworks go off... ;-)

Sorry, crossed posts.

Hi Lizzie

Sorry your posting has been hijacked, I can assure you this doesn't happen all the time. I do not post often but listen a lot and some of the information gained is invaluable.

Sorry, Tony, I assume this is goodbye again. Please keep listening.

Regards

Alan

Good to see you posting again Tony, might return ourselves on a more regular basis if someone has "had enough" of posting on here. Now on facts, as Jean 15, and finding so much better without the agro.

....yes, so were we!

Can I suggest you stay there.

;-)

If you poke it, it bites. You know that, so why do it?

:-S

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2014-11-19 9:21 AM

....yes, so were we!

Can I suggest you stay there.

;-)

If you poke it, it bites. You know that, so why do it?

:-S

Who poked who first? ;-) .................

Frank returned with his poker in hand :D .............but clearly doesn't enjoy being poked in return (lol)............

I guess HE only enjoys one handed poker ;-)...............

Archived