side marker lights/running lights

jordano

Hi i would like to fit the red or amber led lights to the side of my van, do i just link into the side light circuit. also some led running lights in the front bumper to come on and off with the ignition my van is the Autotrail Cheyenne 2009 any help or ides would be most welcome J

DRL's are easy to fit as they work via a relay wired direct to the fuse box so they by-pass the can-bus system.

Ledcom do some nice ones and I can highly recommend the company, they may not be the cheapest but are very good.

Is yours a short van? Otherwise I would expect it to have side marker lights.

If you are using low power LED ones they should be OK but there is always a chance they could upset the can-bus system or the bulb failure circuits. I would be inclined to connect them up and use for a few days to make sure there aren't any problems before drilling any holes.

Robinhood - 2014-11-17 6:47 PM

.......and don't use red lights for side markers.

Red light should only be visible from the rear.

I’ve never seen an example of this on a motorhome, but it would appear that, if multiple side marker lamps are fitted, the distance between the rearmost side marker lamp and the rear of the vehicle shall not exceed 1 metre, and a side marker lamp may be red if it is within 1m of the vehicle’s rear. Otherwise side marker lamps must be amber in colour.

It’s been said on the forum in the past that any motorhome over 6 metres in length should have side marker lamps. However, this requirement only seems to have become mandatory for motorhomes built from mid-2012

http://motorcaravanners.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316

Although many motorhome manufacturers fitted side marker lamps to their motorcaravans well before 2012 (my 2005 Hobby had them) Auto-Trail did not. Pre-2012 no side marker lamps are shown in Auto-Trail brochure pictures (however long the motorhome model is). From 2012 onwards the presence of side marker lamps becomes evident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This webpage summarises UK road vehicle lighting requirements

http://www.transportsfriend.org/road/lights/requirements.html

It’s often advised on-line that side marker lamps became mandatory from 1991 onwards for vehicles with an overall length over 6 metres. However, if it’s correct that “a passenger vehicle” is exempted from that regulation, this might explain why some fairly modern long UK-built motorhomes do not have them.

Returning to Auto-Trail (which the original poster referred to in November), it’s clear that some 2009 A-T models did not have side-marker lamps and (from David’s comment and on-line adverts) that some did.

Although - as I said earlier - pre-2012 A-T brochure photos did not show side marker lamps, it’s plain from adverts (and forum comments) that longer A-T models had orange side marker lamps from 2010.

In fact, what I’ve just said isn’t fully accurate as the 2007 Renault-based Auto-Trail Miami model had side marker lamps (and was shown in the 2007 A-T brochure as having them), though 2006-model Miamis did not.

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2007-autotrail-miami-740d-se-automatic

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30217-auto-trail-miami-740s

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/media/downloads/brochures/2006%20-%20miami.pdf

It’s possible that the ATOC may be able to explain why Auto-Trail did not fit side marker lamps as standard on over-6m-long models until quite recently when other motorhome manufacturers had been doing this for some while and there seemed (maybe!) to have been a UK regulation demanding it.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-12-20 8:55 AM

It’s possible that the ATOC may be able to explain why Auto-Trail did not fit side marker lamps as standard on over-6m-long models until quite recently ...........

....at a guess, I would think that Auto-Trail's phasing in of ECWVTA over this period might have something to do with it. (with EU law at the time being somewhat more strict about the matter than UK)

From a subsequent page of 'Transports Friend' it is stated that Side Marker lamps (and Reflectors) must be Amber unless positioned within 1 metre of the rear of the vehicle. So if you have Red Side marker lamps other than 1 metre from the rear they are illegal.

Link to Transports Friend.

Keith.

PS I hope no one is getting confused with 'End Outline Marker Lamps' which must be fitted to the front and rear of any vehicle over 2,100 mm width and must be Red. See info on the same page that I have just linked to for positioning.

The best summary I've found of the requirements is a set of diagrams contained in a Hella catalogue I downloaded some years ago.

They (allegedly) conform to ECE Regulation 48, which is the now required European standard, and was harmonised across Europe over the 2008-10 period (relevant to the above debate).

Hella1.JPG.27fc9d740c8c58b6dd49c91936b633de.JPG

Hella2.JPG.c098e17f766243a74484f63463b2a30e.JPG

Keithl - 2014-12-20 10:36 AM

From a subsequent page of 'Transports Friend' it is stated that Side Marker lamps (and Reflectors) must be Amber unless positioned within 1 metre of the rear of the vehicle. So if you have Red Side marker lamps other than 1 metre from the rear they are illegal.

Link to Transports Friend.

Keith.

PS I hope no one is getting confused with 'End Outline Marker Lamps' which must be fitted to the front and rear of any vehicle over 2,100 mm width and must be Red. See info on the same page that I have just linked to for positioning.

You’ll see that I mentioned in my posting of 18 November 2014 8:34 AM above that a side marke lamp may be red if it is mounted within 1 metre of the rear of a vehicle.

What is commonly quoted on motorhome forums is that the UK lighting-related requirements for side marker lamps applied to vehicles first used in the UK on or after 1 April 1991. It’s definitely the case, though, that many UK-built over-6m-long motorhomes marketed in the 1990s and 2000s did not have side marker lamps.

It doesn’t really matter about the history as, if your motorhome has side marker lamps you are certainly OK legally, and if it doesn’t have them you are very likely OK legally. If (like Jordano) it’s wished to retrofit side marker lamps, it will be worth being aware of where they should be positioned and the colour requirement.

(With End Outline Marker Lamps, it’s the rear-facing lamps that need to be red, with the front-facing lamps needing to be white.)

Archived