coast to coast walk

petermorgan

My wife and I are hoping to do the coast to coast walk next summer using our 'van as a base. In the not too distant past there was an article in MMM by somebody who'd done just that. Guess what... I didn't save it!

Can anyone out there let me know which month it was so that I can order a back copy or give me any other advice?

Cheers, Pete

hi, I can;t work out the logistics of how you are both going to do a long distance walk with a van. Is one of you going to walk whilst the other drives, parks and waits? Please let us know how you intend to do this walk. I am not asking out of ignorance as I used to be the chef at the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge and I saw the state of the walkers on the coast to coast when they arrived . I hope you achieve this challenge as, from what I saw, it is no strole in the park. All the Best, Ian

When were in Austria 2 years ago a couple who were cyclists and not that young were doing long distant rides and rode one way and used buses and trains to get both them and the bikes to or back to their MH.

I think something like that could work with walking but needs to be in the right area for the transport links and camp sites etc.

I would not do the coast to coast but like this as a idea. B-)

We have an ongoing project to walk the south west coast path. We try to leave the van where we want to finish and use public transport to the start. I takes a bit of planning but usually works. Sometimes do circular routes and when closer to home we can take two vehicles. You do meet some interesting people on the early morning rural buses! The reason to leave van at the end is no need to rush for the last bus if a good lunchstop is found.

Many people use a motorhome and walk the Hadrian Wall's route. There is bus service, appropriately called the AD122, that you can use to return to the motorhome each afternoon.

The following website gives details and connections with other buses.

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/explore/ad122-hadrians-wall-country-bus

I can recommend the beer at the Twice Brewed Inn.

http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk/home.html

Hi Pete, I can only comment on the area of the North Yorks. Moors that I know but public transport is as rare as hens teeth. To attempt to get from somewhere like Osmotherley to Blakey would be nigh on impossible. I thik this is why most people camp or use B&Bs. However, I may be wrong so Good Luck.

Having a driver to drop you off each mroning where you want to start and pick you up after your day's walk is finished would have great advantages and might be worth such disadvantages as there might be in sharing your MH with that driver or couple during the evening and overnight.

If you know anyone well enough to be able to share the MH as accommodation and they are willig the do the driving, building theor own holiday around your schedule, then this is the answer.

Archived