Domain names

RamblingAlex

Can anyone help me out with a domain name question.

I've been looking at this http://www.1and1.co.uk/register-a-domain-name as I'm helping a friend out with a small home business idea, but I don't really get the new domain name extensions.

Which is better, having your original choice of name and a lesser known extension, or a name that has hyphens/numbers etc and .com? Does it make much difference?

Best to choose something which is easy for visitors to your website to remember and type, so that the minority who do arrive that way will be less likely to make a typing mistake. So using hyphens and underscores is not ideal. However the majority of your visitors will arrive there by clicking on a link, so the nature of the url matters less.

A url which ends in .com can sometimes carry more kudos but .co.uk is also well established, probably more so than th newers ones like .tv and .net. Unless you are trying to build a really massive internet presence for a major company it probably matters little.

For my Blog I chose www.gl1800.org.uk because I was not setting up a commercial venture, so ".org" seemed more appropriate. And "gl1800" fitted the model number of a Honda GoldWing, which would therefore be easy for the target audience to remember.

If the business becomes successful you may have to register more than one extension.

For example if you had www.greatbusinessidea.co.uk it would not be very hard for me to register www.greatbusinessidea.com. The powers that be are trying to stop this sort of thing but it still goes on.

If you hope that traffic will come to your website from search engines then the url and the web page needs to be "search engine friendly". happy to ffer you any advise as I have been through this process when setting up our company.

Archived