Pont de l'arche aire !!!

trickydicky

Hi, when we travel to and from spain we notice motorhomes parked up by the river in a place signposted pont de l'arche located between evreux and Rouen. From Rouen it is on the right just over the bridge as you approach the town. It seems popular, but I can't find any details for it,is it an aire ? Does anyone have the GPS for it please. We would like to stay there overnight on our way to spain next week. Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is an aire but it can get overfull later in the day with vans parking in the rest of the car park and anywhere else along the river they can get in.

You can't always depend on it being open as it used as part of a market area sometimes. That said it is a nice little town and a pleasant place to overnight.

It's in the Vicarious All the Aires book which we find very handy as it has reliable co-ordinates and a handy description and photo of each aire listed.

N 49 DEG 18.342 E 01 DEG 9.450

There is an aire there, it's right next to a municipal camp site. I think the site closes in the winter and is prone to flooding, because of the two rivers that meet there.

Nice aire used it as a stop on the way back in October just for a lunch break but have stayed in the winter. Not many spaces like about 4 but loads of room on car park. Large vans would have some trouble getting into the proper spots as they are quite short. Nice little town worth a quick walk around. Waste point at the far end of the car park not at the aire only about 150 yards away. Campsite also in this area but closed in winter I think.

We've stayed on the municipal many times, the aire is relatively new, 3 years at a guess. The town is lovely, beautiful church, few bars, couple of restaurants and usual shops. A smashing market too, can't remember what day(s) it's on though.

Access road to the site and aire can be very hairy when there's activities on in the adjacent park.

Martyn

Tracker - 2014-11-19 10:53 PM

The coordinates are from the Vicarious book and according to Autoroute maps seem pretty accurate to me?

North 49 deg 18.342' East 01 deg 09.450'

We know where it is and have never needed the GPS to find it!

I make those coordinates north west of Paris. Tried in Google maps & Autoroute.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-20 8:47 AM

Oddly, the campingcar-infos website shows no ‘aire’ (of any type) at Pont de l’Arche, but there’s information about it here:

.......au contraire. ;-)

The entry is here:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/ccib.php?numero=19315&chercher=Submit

...from which you can get the coordinates (which are somewhat different to Richard's)

It does not show any overnight spaces although there are only four. When the aire first opened the police used to close the gate but I don't think that is possible now. The police came to move me off there one morning but, as I had a flat tyre, I could not move the van. He was not best pleased! I have not stopped on there since as I prefer the campsite (found it first in 1977 when it was very different - all French and not one English (except for me!) in sight. Then they had a flood, washed all the trees away and the French disappeared.

I have to say that I feel much safer on the site and it is very reasonably priced and quiet. Facilities need updating but I don't use them but they are clean. Gates (locked but you are given a code) to the walk along the river but watch where you walk! The site now has a barrier so you need to arrive before 7pm.

The best restaurant in the town has now closed, the "cabinet" marked on the map is the new vets (very nice man and reasonably priced and there is a massive market on Sundays.

Tracker - 2014-11-20 12:03 PM

The plot thickens - converted from this website it comes out as

N 49# 18.349' E 01# 9.448'

http://www.campingcar76.fr/Site%20P11%20013%20Norm.Stationnement%20Vallee%20de%20Seine.htm

Will the next person to park there please check the 'where am I' location on their sat nav and let us all know the correct co-ordinates please!

Works for me. Seems that folk are getting confused by 2 different co-ordinate systems - decimal degrees and then degrees, minutes, seconds.

For example, both of these work in Google Maps to locate the same place:

49.30563 1.15761

49.18.342 01.09.450

Robinhood - 2014-11-20 9:53 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-20 8:47 AM

Oddly, the campingcar-infos website shows no ‘aire’ (of any type) at Pont de l’Arche, but there’s information about it here:

.......au contraire. ;-)

The entry is here:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/ccib.php?numero=19315&chercher=Submit

...from which you can get the coordinates (which are somewhat different to Richard's)

Mea culpa...

I used a ‘by name’ search of the campingcar-infos website first but there was no sign of a Pont de l’Arche entry. I then seached on “Rouen" and looked at the map this retrieved, overlooking that Pont de ‘l’Arche was in a different departement to Rouen so would not appear.

The coordinates on the campingcar-infos website look near enough to me, but (based on the map provided) relate to a point close to the campsite entrance rather than to the dedicated motorhome parking spaces. The following coordinates apply to a point midway between the two pairs of parking spaces.

Latitude - Longitude:

Lat: 49° 18' 20.8224"

Long: 1° 9' 27.0468”

As Patricia highlights, the campingcar-infos entry now defines the aire at Pont de l’Arche as ‘services only’ type. In view of her September 2014 comments and the fact that lots of motorhomes have been parking outside the 4 dedicated spaces, it may be that stricter regulations have been imposed.

If anyone is keen to park there (particularly if overnighting is envisaged) it might be a good idea to email the Pont de l’Arche mairie and ask what the current/future position is.

Did not stay overnight in early October this year but others clearly had and no new signs telling you about no overnighting. Two larger A class vans were parked outside of the 4 spaces in the corner (the correct part of aire) one Dutch one Belgian who both looked like stayers !!!.

Just watch out for the entrance from the bridge as you have to go left and drive under the bridge to get to the aire. Not sure of our route yet down to Spain in early December but if I pass this I will check it out and report as it is a good place to stay.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-20 2:12 PM

I used a ‘by name’ search of the campingcar-infos website first but there was no sign of a Pont de l’Arche entry. I then seached on “Rouen" and looked at the map this retrieved, overlooking that Pont de ‘l’Arche was in a different departement to Rouen so would not appear.

The coordinates on the campingcar-infos website look near enough to me, but (based on the map provided) relate to a point close to the campsite entrance rather than to the dedicated motorhome parking spaces. The following coordinates apply to a point midway between the two pairs of parking spaces.

Searching by name in the past has proved, for me at least, "unpredictable". I tend to use the maps by preference (and the pushpins in my copy of AutoRoute).

The coordinates on the site are for the borne, which is directly outside the campsite entrance, and not the four dedicated spaces a little distance away (which is not surprising, since (as in the above) the site only lists it as an Aire-de-Service).

((The coordinates on the site are for the borne, which is directly outside the campsite entrance, and not the four dedicated spaces a little distance away (which is not surprising, since (as in the above) the site only lists it as an Aire-de-Service).))

This is true, Borne is 50yards away from the campsite entrance I know as I used it in October 2014.

Pay for Water and Electricity but free for grey water and toilet disposal .

robertandjean - 2014-11-20 2:51 PM

Note that there are often reports on French web sites of this aire been overtaken by travellers, so might not be one to rely on, as there might be no spaces available.

Agree with R&J, we have used Pont de L'Arche several times but on returning a while back (Oct 2013) the car park was overrun with travellers and their vans and caravans.

There is another aire nearby at Le Vaurdreuil, nothing special and effectively just a car park within a housing estate but its acceptable as a backup for a quick transit stop..

http://tinyurl.com/llfhktv

Pete

Yes its definitely an aire with parking and has been such for years, used to have free electricity.

We were there two days ago along with another Brit (18th Nov 14). The trouble is the area around appears to be a dogs toilet, dreadful! Only this time the circus had pitched up on the grassed area next to the aire, tannoy was working well, and several animals were grazing all around the aire, so the droppings were more exotic. We moved on.

starvin marvin - 2014-11-20 6:08 PM

Yes its definitely an aire with parking and has been such for years, used to have free electricity.

We were there two days ago along with another Brit (18th Nov 14). The trouble is the area around appears to be a dogs toilet, dreadful! Only this time the circus had pitched up on the grassed area next to the aire, tannoy was working well, and several animals were grazing all around the aire, so the droppings were more exotic. We moved on.

That's what I call WILD Camping!!

PJay

Archived