Newby, motorcaravan purchase

albion29

I am a first timer to m/caravanning, i have bought a Fiat based Hymer C494 from a `reputable` dealer, my query is the dealer has said the gas bottles do not come with the purchase. The ad. states `includes gas bottles`, how do i stand in claiming the bottles should come with the outfit? This is a minor item i know in the total purchase but i am niggled by their attitude!

If the advert says they should come with it they must honour their offer. If not inform them in writing and keep a copy telling them that they are in contravention of the sale of goods act 1979 (as amended). Also the Trade Description act. Give them 7 dys to comply and If you get no joy contact Trading standards. I trust you still have a copy of the advert. Or you could take them to the small claims court. All the info' regarding trading standards and small claims court are readilly available online. I know all of this from first hand experience from dealings with White Arches Motorhomes of Wellingborough. A very bad experience and much more serious than yours. But it got sorted with one solicitors letter threatening legal proceedings.

Peter is right, the sale of goods act states that articles" must be as described", dont let them try telling you that you need to get your own bottles because of the deposit,( one dealer tried this approach with my brother) or any other excuse, write them a letter saying that if they are not willing or able to supply the bottles, then you will purchase them yourself and persue the reimbursment through the small claims court if neccessary. Hopefully it wont come to that, but some of these dealers need to know that people are fed up with being ripped off, the actual cost of the bottles to yourself is probably not the issue, but it is the principal. If that dealer does this trick 10 times a year, he's probably making £800-900. Good luck, and let the forum know how you get on.

If you do find that you need to buy the bottles yourself though, don't buy them from the dealer, or 'new' for that matter, you'll often find some of the smaller garages will sell you bottles much cheaper, or even look in the paper, at car boot sales etc, nearly every car boot sale we've been to (and we go to a lot) has someone selling full 5kg gas bottles for around £10.00! Now's a good time to buy them as it's the end of the camping season so some peole are selling off their old gear.

I needed an additional calor gas propane cylinder and I found it in the local recycling depot run by my city council. The workman asked for a donation to their tea fund and I gave £4 for the cylinder whuich turned out sdtill to have 25%gas!!

Thank you to all the respondents following my request for help, the happy conclusion was the Company has now agreed to include a gas bottle ¬as advertised`. Small item i know but a matter of pinciple, Regards to all the readers of the motor home forum.

Archived