Engine size and buying advice - mobilvetta top driver 52

Levitated

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying my first motorhome and would like some advice please.

The mobilvetta meets my criteria of compact size, four berth including four seat belts and within buget.

I have two main questions.

In 2000 The supplied the top driver with three engine sizes to chose 1.9, 2.5 and 2.8. From this range which is the more desirable or reliable?

I'm viewing a mobivetta soon is there anything I should check / know issues with this model.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Levitated & welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the mobilvetta range, but what ever model of coach-built motorhome you view at that age the singularly most important issue at that age has to be damp / water ingress. Ask for a damp check. Regarding engine size, IMHO the 1.9L will be short on power (only 84bhp from memory) If the 2.5L has a turbo, it should be OK power wise & some think this was the best unit at that time, but the 2.8L will have chain drive as opposed to cam-belt. The 2.8L can suffer from 5th gear problems but is not an expensive job if caught at the right time.

1.9 fitted to keep down the cost. Adequate best sums it up. 2.5 turbo was a good lump in the 90's [i had a non turbo and turbo version]. 2,8 TdI was the best. Mine had a cam belt change after 5 years.

Mobilvetta parts will not be easy to find although from memory, these vans contained a lot of fittings common to other vans. Mobilvetta Driver was one of the better Italian imports but damp in Italian vans, and UK vans in fairness, was common.

If you can, go for the 2.8tdi, check for damp, and usual mechanical checks. Check service records. On the habitation side, gas and electrical fittings are where the greatest danger exists so make sure these are serviced by a qualified agent. Rust on the front members of Fiats is not unknown.

If you have a specific vehicle in mind and can post a link, you might get more specific comment.

I think a Fiat Ducato-based 2000 Mobilvetta Top Driver 52 would not have been fitted with a 2.5litre motor, having a 1.9litre motor as standard with a 2.8litre motor as an option. Both of these powerplants have cam-belts.

This is a compact motorhome and the smaller-capacity engine should (as Brock says) be ‘adequate’ - but the big motor would be a lot more fun and probably not much thirstier in practice.

Some earlier forum comments that may be useful

http://tinyurl.com/lhlnvz3

Archived