Why are rear view cameras so large?

Cliffy

The reversing camera on my car is only about 6 mm Diameter and is hidden in amongst the under plate lights .

Why are the ones for motorhomes so large, ugly and mounted so high? Also I would have thought the bike rack would block the view to rear corners of the van.

If motorhome owners choose to fit a reversing camera system themselves, or instruct someone else to do it for them, there’s no reason why a small camera should not be specified. Examples are here

http://rearviewcamerashop.com/ReversingcamerasUK/cmos-reversing-cameras.html

However, on a motorhome it makes sense to mount the camera high up and for it to be adjustable, and if a dual-lens or motorised camera is wanted, that’s going to increase the size.

I wouldn’t have thought that the WAECO CAM 50C camera shown here

http://en.waeco.com/4565_957.php?hirID=257&artOrigID=45388

was particularly large or ugly.

A reversing camera should be mounted as high as possible to look down at the corners of the vehicle.

Typically, a reversing camera will have an angle of view of 120 degrees.

If you were to mount the camera at a low level you would need an angle of view of 180 degrees to view the corners of the vehicle. There are some cameras designed to be mounted just above the licence plate that give 170 degrees angle of view. But these are really designed for cars where it is not possible to mount in an elevated position.

The next criteria to consider is Night Vision. This is usually achieved with Infra Red LEDs. The beam from the LEDs has a finite range. On some of the really small cameras this can be as short as 3 metres, meaning the beam would not even reach the ground on tall motorhomes. Hence the camera needs to larger to accommodate more or larger LEDs.

Most motorhome drivers seem to want the camera to capture an image a fair distance behind the vehicle. Again this will require a camera with suitably powerful night vision.

There are some small cameras listed on the following page:

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/acatalog/Reversing_Cameras.html

I fitted a smallish bullet camera next to the number plate on my last van. It was good for making sure the area was clear behind before reversing but not good enough to be used for accurate positioning as it was mounted straight it was 120 deg lens (one of these) , the night vision was just about useable if you let it stabilise for a minute or two. Also if using for rear view while driving following headlights & low sun wiped it out.

The current van I fitted one of these although the bullet camera did the job this one is in a different world, the narrow angle camera (45 deg) is just like looking in a rear view mirror and the wide angle (120 deg) is angled down I can see the rear corners of the van for close up reversing, night time vision is like daylight apart from being monochrome.

lennyhb - 2014-11-24 11:58 AM

I fitted a smallish bullet camera next to the number plate on my last van. It was good for making sure the area was clear behind before reversing but not good enough to be used for accurate positioning as it was mounted straight it was 120 deg lens (one of these) , the night vision was just about useable if you let it stabilise for a minute or two. Also if using for rear view while driving following headlights & low sun wiped it out.

The current van I fitted one of these although the bullet camera did the job this one is in a different world, the narrow angle camera (45 deg) is just like looking in a rear view mirror and the wide angle (120 deg) is angled down I can see the rear corners of the van for close up reversing, night time vision is like daylight apart from being monochrome.

A 45 degree angle is very telephoto and not what most people wants as it cuts off a lot of detail at each side. A rear view mirror will typically give you a 90 degree angle of view.

To quote from the spec. of the camera. "Camera angles quoted are a calculated measurement based on the focal length of the lens and size of sensor. They are usually given as a diagonal measurement"

I have never ever heard of the angle of view being given as a diagonal measure. It is usually given either as the horizontal and/or vertical angle of view. If the camera is using a 1/3" CCD the image aspect ratio will be 4:3. The ratio of horizontal to vertical angle of view is also in a ratio of 4:3

To achieve a viewing angle of 45 degrees on a 1/3" CCD the camera would have to be fitted with a lens with a focal length of 8mm. A 1/4" image sensor would give a narrower angle of view.

The night-time image samples shown of Lenny's original camera tells you nothing. The images are taken in street lights which will swamp the IR LEDs.

I know the camera Lenny has and it is very good, just a shame the company has to give such mumble jumble technical detail.

AliB - 2014-11-24 1:03 PM

A 45 degree angle is very telephoto and not what most people wants as it cuts off a lot of detail at each side. A rear view mirror will typically give you a 90 degree angle of view.

I took the figures from their website which appears to be incorrect, the camera is actually 90 deg and gives a superb rear view.

These are links to the same camera

http://www.parkingcamerasuk.com/CAM222WNV-White-1-3-Sony-CCD-image-sensors-Twin-Lens-Camera.html

http://rearviewcamerashop.com/ReversingcamerasUK/twin-lens-ccd-reversing-camera-with-sony-sensor-cam222w.html

The consensus seems to be that the relevant figures should be 120 degrees and 70 degrees (maybe!)

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-24 1:57 PM

These are links to the same camera

http://www.parkingcamerasuk.com/CAM222WNV-White-1-3-Sony-CCD-image-sensors-Twin-Lens-Camera.html

http://rearviewcamerashop.com/ReversingcamerasUK/twin-lens-ccd-reversing-camera-with-sony-sensor-cam222w.html

The consensus seems to be that the relevant figures should be 120 degrees and 70 degrees (maybe!)

No doubt you will have noticed that the address for the above 2 companies is identical. However, the specification for the rearviewcamerashop states the camera is based on a 1/4" CCD. This would significantly effect the angle of view.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually a separate cable from each camera which has both power and video cables.

My ones use a mini 8 pin connector on each camera so that you only need a small hole through the wall, they then connecte to a single mulitway cable that splits at the other end into 2 BNC plugs for the video and 2 power plugs for the power.

Archived